Why can't my Expy stop like a Chevy?? Booster issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Miekk

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My boss has two new Chevy pickups and when I drive either of them, they stop with so much more booster power than my expy....

Is the expy designed to stop OK with the first pedal push, then when you pump it, like my dads old 78 half ton ford, the second time to set the pedal up and stop much better? Any immediate subsequent pedal pushes are all the same and significantly better than the initial push. When pulling our ATVs on the trailer, it's second nature now just to double pump them right a way.

I've only driven one other expy and it did the same as mine.

Are there changes I can make to the booster to boost more?

I only wish the pedal was responsive and positive as my bosses Chevys.

Thanks.

OP
OP
Miekk

Miekk

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What model are the chevys, 1500 2500 3500?

Really? 2014 1500s

Just drove mother-in-laws 13 Equinox, another vehicle that will send you through the windshield just touching the brakes.

Been reading up. Plan on adjusting the booster plunger rod behind the MC a little so it sets up faster.

caylerman

Reaction score
Because your vehicle is still running! Sorry, had 2 Suburbans and neither one made it past 72K miles. My 13 Expy, knocking on wood, is at 70K now with no mechanical issues other than warping rotors.

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Mie Been reading up. Plan on adjusting the booster plunger rod behind the MC a little so it sets up faster.[/QUOTE said:
over adjusting will cause brake drag

andrew_s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Im sorry that youre having brake issues. Mine stops on a dime and much better then my step sisters 2012 tahoe and extremely better then my buddies 2004 z71 tahoe....and my brakes are on their way out.

There must be something wrong with your system, maybe a master cylinder internal leak or some other issue qith the system. Last time I had a hydraulic system that felt sponyy it ended up needing a master and slave cylinder replaced. Granted it was a clutch but essentially a similar working system.

Last edited:

montecarlo31

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Really? 2014 1500s

Just drove mother-in-laws 13 Equinox, another vehicle that will send you through the windshield just touching the brakes.

Been reading up. Plan on adjusting the booster plunger rod behind the MC a little so it sets up faster.

Really? Yeah it really matters since GM trucks have 3 different brake systems.:think:

You have a 2008, so have you owned it the whole time? When was the last time the brakes were flushed? What about the hoses? A lot of variables have occurred since it rolled off the show room in 2008 vs their 2014 and 2013s.

Bowesmobile

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That is a good point, rubber lines over time degrade the pedal feel and effort. Find some steel reinforced replacements and that will help pedal feel and braking effort.

OP
OP
Miekk

Miekk

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Really? Yeah it really matters since GM trucks have 3 different brake systems.:think:

You have a 2008, so have you owned it the whole time? When was the last time the brakes were flushed? What about the hoses? A lot of variables have occurred since it rolled off the show room in 2008 vs their 2014 and 2013s.

Their braking systems are irrelevant to my question... Why when I pump the pedal, the second push is nearing only as good as other vehicles first push?

Owned it for 2 years... done nothing and nothing has changed... Was accepting this until I drove these other vehicles that have far superior braking to this Expy.

We also have an 07 1500 here and it's better too. I'm beginning to think Fords are just not boosted to the level GMs are. My Mustang sucks compared to the Camaros, so maybe it's just a Ford thing. There's certainly plenty of other things I'd like to beat Ford for that are obviously so inferior to others!

I need to go out and drive some other expeditions to determine more..

Bowesmobile

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I
Their braking systems are irrelevant to my question... Why when I pump the pedal, the second push is nearing only as good as other vehicles first push?

Owned it for 2 years... done nothing and nothing has changed... Was accepting this until I drove these other vehicles that have far superior braking to this Expy.

We also have an 07 1500 here and it's better too. I'm beginning to think Fords are just not boosted to the level GMs are. My Mustang sucks compared to the Camaros, so maybe it's just a Ford thing. There's certainly plenty of other things I'd like to beat Ford for that are obviously so inferior to others!

I need to go out and drive some other expeditions to determine more..

I'm sorry to read that. You should sell your Ford and go buy a Chevy. Then you can always have a new one. Seeing as they need to be replaced every 70k miles or so. Its like changing your oil.