Why cut the thermostat?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Digital_Dad

Reaction score
First off Hello All! It's nice to be here.

My DIL just bought a 2011 Ford Expedition Limited (which means I now repair it).
So far I have cleaned the MAF, throttle body, K&N air filter. Changed the front brake pads, front pass brake hose, taillight bulbs, oil & filter, thermostat & oring and had to replace the blower motor resistor and plug(it caught fire at the gas station on the way home from buying the truck). Still need to fix the transaxle shift motor code issue and two Air conditioning actuators - one in the front and one in the rear(clicking when starting the truck).

The question I have is when I pulled the thermostat the old one was cut and gutted? The housing was in there but all the internals were gone, I know it was cut because I can see the angle grinder or cut off wheel marks where someone cut the bottom sides to remove the spring. Why would someone do that?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First off Hello All! It's nice to be here.

My DIL just bought a 2011 Ford Expedition Limited (which means I now repair it).
So far I have cleaned the MAF, throttle body, K&N air filter. Changed the front brake pads, front pass brake hose, taillight bulbs, oil & filter, thermostat & oring and had to replace the blower motor resistor and plug(it caught fire at the gas station on the way home from buying the truck). Still need to fix the transaxle shift motor code issue and two Air conditioning actuators - one in the front and one in the rear(clicking when starting the truck).

The question I have is when I pulled the thermostat the old one was cut and gutted? The housing was in there but all the internals were gone, I know it was cut because I can see the angle grinder or cut off wheel marks where someone cut the bottom sides to remove the spring. Why would someone do that?

Because the person that did that did not have another thermostat or didn’t want to spend $10 for a new one.

bodabdan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Possibilities-
Someone was fighting an overheating issue and was trying to avoid radiator, fan, or water pump replacement.

Previous owner thought it would run better if it ran cooler, like the Quadrajet days.

Used car lot "fixed" it for pennies instead of actually fixing it.

Someone hated the idea of a heater blowing warm air.

When you get it back together be alert in case there was a bad component that's still bad. Don't let it bite you.

OP
OP
Digital_Dad

Digital_Dad

Reaction score
I will keep an eye on it all this week. I still have a few bugs to work out. The rear parking aid, transaxle shift motor, and air conditioner actuators in front and back click when it first starts, and the DVD headrests have no power to them. So I have more to do to get it sorted out.

JimR_TN

Reaction score
I don’t think anyone has bought an older Expedition and not had to replace an AC actuator. I replaced 3 on my 2007 last year when I got it. Luckily it is inexpensive and mostly easy.

OP
OP
Digital_Dad

Digital_Dad

Reaction score
I don’t think anyone has bought an older Expedition and not had to replace an AC actuator. I replaced 3 on my 2007 last year when I got it. Luckily it is inexpensive and mostly easy.
How hard is it to replace the rear one? All that plastic looks like it is going to be very hard to remove in order to get to it

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The rear is not bad, there are videos on youtube that goes through the process.

Last edited:

purevw

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd take that k&n filter off and throw it in the trash. Back when I was a mechanic those brought me lots of engine rebuilds. Hard to beat the pleated paper filters.
I tend to agree about the K&N filter. Chances are that the oil in the filter is why you had to clean the MAF sensor and throttle body. I have several K&Ns on older vehicles and every one leaves an oily residue downstream of the filter. Please note that it is not from using excessive oil.