Why did you choose an Expedition over Yukon/Tahoe/Suburban?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dave88LX

Reaction score
Let me start this post off by saying I'm not trying to start anything inflammatory. I may be in the market for a used (2007-2010) SUV to replace an '08 Mazda5 that we've outgrown.

If you are a Ford fanboy(girl) and wouldn't be caught dead in a GM, that is also a valid reason. Personally, I own Ford, Pontiac, Dodge, and Mazda...so I'm open to the best value. With that said, I'd like to know what factors made you choose over the GM equivalents.

Have 2 kids with plans for at least a third. I'm more considering the extended versions (Yukon XL/Expedition EL/Suburban) over the standard length vehicles. Cargo space with the 3rd row up is important. My wife's a photographer and has a ton of photo junk she takes with her; don't want to have to rearrange car seats to fit the crap in the back every time.

I would be looking for AWD/4WD, but tow capacity is not really a concern; I have a Ram 2500 Cummins for that (used to have a /93 F-250 IDI).

Any major model differences between 2006-2010 I should be aware of?

Yes, I have a lot of reading to do. I'll probably find my answers searching on here to most questions, but, I'd really like to know the vs. GM question.

Thanks for any input or direction.
- Dave

Davids03Expy

Reaction score
the one thing that really sticks out on the expedition is that the third row seats fold flat with a push of a button or manually. i have seen Tahoe's and suburban's and the third row seats don't do that you either have to fold them up or you have to remove them to get that extra space in the trunk

Spooky

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In all honesty, I have been a GM guy most of my life and have owned GM products throughout Highschool and college. My first real Ford was a Crown Vic right out of college....purchased because I wanted a V8 and had to have head room (I'm 6'7"). The comparable GM Camaro and Firebirds were 10K more for the same year, mileage and accessories.

When I bought the Expy, I was looking for SUV's and first went looking for Yukon's and Suburban's....once again, Ford was about 10k cheaper for the same model year and accessories and both my buddies who had GM SUV's were having problems with the wiring harnesses. At least with a Ford crappy transmission, you know exactly what to replace.

I have had no issues with either Ford vehicle I have owned and they have never let me down. For what you spend, Ford delivers a lot for the dollar IMHO.

The lay flat 3rd row seats are great and allow me to cram a lot of stuff in the back, especially if you lower the 2nd row seats (they lay flat as well).

ced_pearlandtx

Reaction score
I've had Suburbans and Yukons for over 10 years. I looked at Ford because of politics. I bought a Ford because of price, ventilated seats, and the fold flat 3rd row. Favorite thing about it today remains the fold flat 3rd row is so convenient.

andrew_s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well Im in your shoes in that Im looking for something bigger. I have not bought yet, but I have choosen and started to shop around. Now I have driven some tahoes and I have driven ALOT of 1st and 2nd gen expeditions as well as have worked on them. I, and my family, have always been big ford people but this time I wanted to make an unbiased decision on what is truly better. After all my research I have found that the competition between both the GM offerings and ford offerings are a complete wash in my opinion. For the uses you buy them for both will give you years of reliable very good service.

The only reason I chose the Expedition is price/mileage. You can get alot more for your money getting the ford then the GM version. Sure there are small advatages to both, but in all honesty after having driven both it just comes down to what I can get for my money and the fords are selling lower mileage/better option expeditions for less. I know for a fact that it has nothing to do with quality as they are rock solid and just as good as the gm versions.

Honestly for you it may come down to the test drive or something else...

Last edited:

03dblcabtaco

Reaction score
I am a Gm tech and I bought my wife a 12 expedition king ranch based on the amount of vehicle you get for the money. Any of the current body Tahoe/ Subs are solid vehicles. We all have our problems. Just make sure the dash panel is not cracked and all four door lock are operable. Cycle the locks several times. These are known problems. If you are a second owner you can sometimes receive Gm assistance on the dash and lock replacement with a deductible. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Stinker

Reaction score
My wife just had twins and we already had adopted 3 kids. I checked ford GM and Chevy and went with a 13 expedition el for all the space reasons already mentioned. I traded in a 01 f150 super crew. I'm a low mileage driver, it only had 140k on it. Still in almost 13 years I'd only had it in the shop about 7 or 8 times. I had watched little things go wrong with buddies GM and Chevy vehicles that just didn't plague my ford. Also as previously mentioned, for the price I just felt like I got more vehicle for my $.

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Two main reasons I picked the Expedition over the Tahoe. Completely flat load floor from tailgate to first row seats, and the value for the money. I personally liked the looks of the Tahoe better, but I despised the thought of having to remove the third row seat to haul anything, and the fact that the second row seats did not fold flat in line with the rear floor.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3rd row power fold flat...I liked the interior design better...and most important...my wife's job had a discount package with ford...$42K truck...out the door for $29K!!!

standardmoose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
when i was looking for a new car i did look at the tahoe and yukon as well, and basically shopped around for the best out of the 3, i did loads of research on them as well, used a website which i cant remember the name of to find all the different complaints, and out of the 3 the expy had the least amount of complaints by quick a few sort of like 1/10 compared to 4/10 for the gm models.

also the folding rear seat were a huge bonus over the gm models.

pricing was also a lot better i found

and i found more used expys had 4x4 compared to the gm models.

then i prefer the some of the looks on the expy.

also i find the interior is nicer, there are some hard plastics in the expy, but when you drive the expy you dont feel like your in a massive car, compared to a tahoe or yukon, i find it alot more comfortable.

but the main seller for me is the handling, i had a yukon for 2 weeks about a 6 months before i bought my expy. it was very comfortable to drive and pick was good on it, but whenever i went around a corner i felt like i was gonna fall out of my seat, and i found the body roll was way to much, especially if you were accelerating around a corner.
also i found as a daily driver the expy is more manageable. its easier to man over in car parks and traffic etc.

i do like the gm models but i feel the expy is more versatile, as you can take it off roading 1 day then go on a road trip with the family and dog the next, commute to work the next, then chuck all your tools in the back the next. i just find its more rounded than the gm.s

hope this helps