Window Scratches from Simply Rolling them Down?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thedern

Reaction score
From my web searches there is an issue effecting f150's, super duty's, as well as Expeditions where debris gets into the rubber gasket around the windows and causing deep scratches when windows are rolled up and down. I am having the same issue on my 2015 Expedition, all but the driver's window are pretty marked up with long, deep scratches. At times when I roll down the window it sounds like nails on a chalk board and of course I stop what I am doing clean the channel and gasket but at that point its too late, the scratches are there to stay. I found a TSB "TSB 07-10-5", which outlines the issue and repair but only covers Expeditions up to 2007.

I took my Expedition to my ford dealership this morning to address this issue along with a printed copy of the TSB in-case I got the run-around. They agreed the windows are pretty scratched up but it was pretty clear they did not want to deal with this issue. The service manager all but made fun of me to my face for pulling a TSB from the internet and bringing it in. They said "they would look into it and call me back". I am not going to hold my breath.

The 2007 is a 3rd generation like the 2015 that I have and I was wondering if any of you out there are having the same issue with vehicles newer than 2007? If so, what have you done about it and did you get any help from Ford?

Thanks in advance.

bloodhound

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2009 Expy Limited. It has the same issue. When I got it tinted a few years ago the installer warned me about this issue as it's very common. Not surprised Ford hasn't addressed it.

Dawgbyt

Reaction score
Mine too, the scratches are really bad. I have a 2010 XLT. I thought is was just due to it being in Phoenix from the crazy sand-blowing monsoons before I bought it. Glad that it isnt just from that, but frustrated to hear its a common problem that many are having and Ford isnt doing anything about it.

Reaction score
There is no 'fix' for this per se, however, there is a way to lessen the chance of it getting any worse. I work at a tint shop, and EVERY SUV and truck we tint we tell the cistomers the same thing, maintain your vehicle, and this is part of it.

You get credit card offers, right? Excellent!

Step one, grab one of those fake credit cards when you get your next offer.
Step two, cut it in half diagonally, so you have two triangle pieces.
Step three, grab a THIN microfiber cloth, or really any thin cloth. As a desperation measure, newspaper will do the trick.
Step four, wrap the card in the cloth
Step five, sweep out the outside channel with your new tool, going from one side to the other. Notice how nasty your rag is now?
Step six, repeat ad nauseum

This will help to lessen, but not eliminate the problem. If you do this every time you wash your car, most of the debris will be eliminated, and those deep gouges may not even occur. This will not eliminate damage already done, of course, but for those who don't want this problem to begin with, it's a great idea to do it on occasion.

If you think yours is bad, I've seen windows so badly scratched that you could not see through them (I'm talk to you, Dodge), and wondered how in the world they drove that way. Very, very dangerous.

As a side note, the 2007-2014 body style Chevy/GMC trucks actually had removal exterior felt strips. Those are stupid easy to clean.

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I could imagine your feelings. Once we had ashfall here when Mt. Pinatubo erupted and my dads newly painted VW beetle was used every day. We would not open the windows even if it had no a/c because of the same thing: screeching noise from sand like debris. One cheap solution would be just use your a/c and just open the door if you need to get something outside to avoid further damage to the glass.

OP
OP
T

thedern

Reaction score
The service manager at the dealership called me back and had me bring the Expedition back in. I was surprised as my initial contact did not go very well and had the feeling I was going to be ignored. He took photos and sent them to Ford. The reply from Ford was that the window scratches were not a warranty item. So it seems a crappy design is not their problem but ours instead as the owner of the vehicle. Funny, I have owned trucks and suvs from GMC, Nissan, etc and I have never had an issue like this before. Perhaps Ford should contact them and see how to design a proper window. Anyway, I was told I could call Ford customer care to pursue this further. That number is 800 392 3673. I am planning to call but I have little hope of getting this fixed after seeing the thread below. I have the exact issue as this member and my windows look just like the pictures posted.

http://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/your-fault-ford-warranty-coverage.17210/