Windshield Wiper arm removal process

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zap Rowsdower

Reaction score
Hello Expedition community,

I've noticed a problem with my windshield wiper fluid sprayers not spraying on the driver side of my windshield. I want to see if there is possibly a crack in the fluid line or if I just need to replace the sprayer itself.

I did a search specifically on removing windshield wiper arms but any specific diagram on how to remove the wiper arm and the cowl panels. Does anybody have this information they can share?

-Rowsdower

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Push a safety pin or a threading needle through the holes in the sprayer nozzle, usually those get dirty and holes are blocked

Do this first before you go tearing down everything

Also if there is a broken hose, you can keep spraying for a while then pop your hood open and look for leaks possibly from the broken hose, that will be the second easiest thing you could do

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can use a battery terminal puller to remove the wiper arms The cowl panels will then remove very easy

But first try what Habbibie suggests with using a safety pin or a threading needle through the holes in the sprayer nozzle

OP
OP
Z

Zap Rowsdower

Reaction score
I'll give the safety pin method a try.

However, if I do need to go to the puller route that seem pretty intense just to remove wiper arms. I've seen the F-150 wiper arm removal and it has a latch holding it on. I was just hoping I missed something on the Expedition's wiper arms that would have made it just as easy to remove. Not so lucky I guess.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Remove the windshield wiper pivot arm.
  1. Lift the pivot arm nut cover.
  2. Remove the nut.
  3. Then lift upwards This is where having a puller comes in handy Although other methods can be used to pry the arm off
See pic

wiper arm.gif

Ed_Strong

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had this very same issue last week! I just gently tapped the side of the pivot arm with a hammer while lifting upwards. It came right off without a fight!

OP
OP
Z

Zap Rowsdower

Reaction score
That's awesome! I just did the needle through the hole in the sprayer nozzle while I'm here at the office.
I'll use the sprayers when I'm driving on my way home to see if it worked. Don't want to get washer fluid on anybody else's car while its parked in the parking lot.

If it didn't work then I know my next course of action to take.

Thanks Bedrck47 and the Expedition community for the feedback.

Ed_Strong

Full Access Members
Reaction score
in my case
That's awesome! I just did the needle through the hole in the sprayer nozzle while I'm here at the office.
I'll use the sprayers when I'm driving on my way home to see if it worked. Don't want to get washer fluid on anybody else's car while its parked in the parking lot.

If it didn't work then I know my next course of action to take.

Thanks Bedrck47 and the Expedition community for the feedback.
In my case...the needle thru the sprayer didnt work! I had to remove them from the cowl and clean all the junk buildup from the back end of the sprayer.