Won't start.....intermittent

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1096xj

Reaction score
Ok, this is a friend's 99 Eddie Bauer Exp. It has the 5.4 motor. Sometimes it won't start. When it does this the fuel pump does not run when you first turn the key. If you leave it for a bit sometimes you will hear the fuel pump start and prime and when it does the truck starts fine. Obviously the no start is a problem with the fuel pump not running when the key is turned on. Strangely if you take the intake boot loose from the throttle body and pour a small amout of gas in and then reattach the boot and fire it up it will start and run. Along with this the idle seems to move up and down just a small bit, maybe 200 or 300 rpms. Sorry for the long post but I don't want to just start throwing parts at it. Thanks for any help

2000eb

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i would test the fuel pressure pump may be going bad also test all electrical connections with fuel pump

2000eb

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i would try google or get a repair manual like hanes might have it