Won't Start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I had been looking for a Ford Expedition that needs motor work for a low price. Went and bought a 97 today and the truck made a short clack sound when i tried to start it. Was told the motor seized up.When i got home the crank turned. Guy said he bought a new starter and put it on it as well. I charged the battery, and messed with the starter and it turned over for a few seconds but wouldnt start, then the sound stopped. Now the starter makes a grinding noise for half a second then stops. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome to the site. Pull the starter and check the teeth on the starter drive and flex plate. Turn the crank with a breaker bar/socket a few complete turns to make sure it turns freely.

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You shouldn't have bought it when you knew that the motor seized up. You could remove the spark plugs and put some motor oil in the cylinders (about a tbsp.) and crank it by hand. If it would not turn, my worry is that the main bearings might have been damaged.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chase5817