Wrench icon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not a fluke - data from a sensor or sensors was/were out of range then came back into range. At this point could be anything.

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It should have at least set a code somewhere. I would take it to AutoZone/Advance/O'Reilly/whoever else and have them scan it. They have fancy (expensive) Bosch scanners that should be able to read codes from every module. They could look at historic codes and see if there's anything there.

OP
OP
D

Dennis_H

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It should have at least set a code somewhere. I would take it to AutoZone/Advance/O'Reilly/whoever else and have them scan it. They have fancy (expensive) Bosch scanners that should be able to read codes from every module. They could look at historic codes and see if there's anything there.
I'll see if I can get in to my mechanic, but it won't be till Monday now. Won't be driving it much this weekend, so hopefully the historic codes will still be there. There was nothing in my freeze frame screen on mine, but I don't think it threw a code that stores it there.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
I read somewhere the fuel tank has a pressure sensor. It can set off a CEL and clear itself. The code may or may not be cleared.

OP
OP
D

Dennis_H

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had it scanned today and there was an error in the historical data.
U0109 Lost Communication with Fuel Pump Control Module (FPCM)

I have driven about 70 miles since it happened and have noticed no issues. Don't know if that set the wrench icon briefly or not, but had no other errors reported... Will keep watching, but so far, it was a weird 1 time occurrence.

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m sure it did. Here’s the code description from ALLDATA.

DCFE589F-87C0-42BA-B0B1-F711E1228EBC.gif

Basically, the FPCM expects a modulated signal from the fuel pump to monitor expected fuel pressure, and it hadn’t gotten that signal for a few seconds, so it set the code. Once the signal resumed, the icon probably disappeared.

A short in the wire, corrosion on the wire harness, it could have been a number of things.

The FPCM is decently accessible, I think. Its connector is near the rear left wheel well, I’m not sure if it’s above the fuel tank or on the side. Personally, I wouldn’t worry about inspecting it. I don’t see this as a sign of impending failure or anything.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
The F150 had a issue with the FPCM, corrosion and moisture getting inside it.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
My '07 5.4V8 fuel pump had some short of short in 2016 and the truck just rolled to a stop on the interstate one winter evening. 30 minutes sitting on the shoulder waiting for a tow I tried a restart and it did. Crapped out two or three more times getting to my house. Felt just like hitting the rev limiter on another car. All gauges were in the green. New fuel pump (after a tow to the dealer) got it fixed.

-- Chuck