Wrong tranny Fluid.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Paul S

Reaction score
What would happen if the person that changed the Tranny Fluid took a short cut and put in regular transmission fluid rather than the special Mercon fluid that Ford uses?

2000 XLT 4.6 Liter 2 wheel drive, 77000 Miles

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did they drive with it, and for how long?

I'm not really sure, but I figured I'd ask...

OP
OP
P

Paul S

Reaction score
I have been driving on the transmission fluid for about.1 year. The trans slips into 3rd gear and immediately drops onto the next gear and finally OD. The only problem is the shift from 2-3. If I am accelerating hard it shifts at 3000rpm and go to redline of I don't let up on the gas. The problem only happens the first time it shifts. After slipping one time it is pretty much fine, until it is turned off and restarted.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you changed it, yet? I'd probably start with that.

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
i guess the fuel filter did"nt work. well i would get the trans looked at could be a simple fix

OP
OP
P

Paul S

Reaction score
The fuel filter seems to make it better, but lately It is just getting worse.
It is only the shift from 2-3 the first time. It is too weird. Down here in So.
Florida there is no place to go. I am sure it will be a $3000.00 rebuild. I have never seen so many crooks in one place. they will do a $50.00 fix and say they rebuilt the whole tranny.

OP
OP
P

Paul S

Reaction score
Sawgrass Ford, the biggest crooks you will ever meet. Just commisioned salesholes. When my son's 2005 trans blew a seal they charged him $1500. To change a seal that shouldn't have gone at 56000 miles.

I will probaly end up there but I really don't trust them. 2 brothers I play Ice Hockey with have a repair/speed shop. I asked them and all they could say was be very careful. They also mentioned Ford because there you will have recourse if they screw you. And they added you will get screwed.

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
do you have any friends that are cops? if so find where they get their trans work done.

cardude427

Reaction score
Well I just had to replace 2 tranny seals in my '97 5.4 eddie bauer, and while I was doing it everyone said be sure to use the Mercon fluid other wise you can clog up the transmission, destroy seals, and in worst case blow the tranny so I listened. In your case you should empty out the tranny and put all new fluid in it and replace the filter at the same time, then get it flushed later down the line.