Yet ANOTHER Spark Plug thread . . .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Captain Morgan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've used Bosch plugs in the past and used this particular plug with success.

Some shops around here hate this plug and I see no problem with it in terms of physics. It's gapped right and a very open design. The mfr claims it reaches a higher temp faster to burn off residues etc. It has a compression ring.

Why would I NOT go with these plugs?

Does anyone have any direct experience with them in Triton engines?

THX

Bosch (4504) HGR9DQI Platinum IR Fusion Spark Plug

Exia

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Friend of mine tried those twice in his 01, he switched to +4s.. The reason being, they do burn hotter, which in return they dont last as long.. Within 2500 miles he was misfiring pretty good, so he thought maybe bad batch, got another set, and yet again 2500 miss came back, he switched plugs now he's changing them every 15k.. And the plugs still have life in them...

OP
OP
C

Captain Morgan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thx for the info!

He switched to BOSCH Platinum +4s?

Just to be clear, can you post the url to the exact plug you mention?

Also, I kept digging and found the the pre gapped ranges on the ones I bought are either a little too cold or a little too hot for the recommended ranges on Triton 5.4. So I'm going to email BOSCH and make them take them back. They post a 100% send them back if you're not satisfied guarantee.

qcksnake

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I use the NGK TR6 for boosted applications.

Use the NGK Platinums for most na applications.

honestly you really wont beat the service from the factory motorcraft platinums in your average daily driver.

I know a lot of guys that have shops around here dont like the bosch, mostly because they are usually taking them out due to misfires and putting back in the motorcrafts.

We do a few fleet vehicles that see a lot of miles in a year and we run the motorcrafts in them. Figure a solid 75000 in any conditions on a N/A vehicle.

Exia

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thx for the info!

He switched to BOSCH Platinum +4s?

Just to be clear, can you post the url to the exact plug you mention?

Also, I kept digging and found the the pre gapped ranges on the ones I bought are either a little too cold or a little too hot for the recommended ranges on Triton 5.4. So I'm going to email BOSCH and make them take them back. They post a 100% send them back if you're not satisfied guarantee.

Yes, hell I even had those in mine.. Platinum+4 Spark Plugs
For all 8 cost me 50 bucks @ Autozone

I use the NGK TR6 for boosted applications.

Use the NGK Platinums for most na applications.

honestly you really wont beat the service from the factory motorcraft platinums in your average daily driver.

I know a lot of guys that have shops around here dont like the bosch, mostly because they are usually taking them out due to misfires and putting back in the motorcrafts.

We do a few fleet vehicles that see a lot of miles in a year and we run the motorcrafts in them. Figure a solid 75000 in any conditions on a N/A vehicle.

Why in all that is horsepower.. Would you use a import tuner plug in a V8?? NGK plugs are theoretically only designed for small engine applications.. 4 and 6 cylinders.. and Turbo apps... Even the NGK sales rep told me to not use them in my Stage 2 Steeda.. So I went E3 for that

OP
OP
C

Captain Morgan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Exia - I can't really see the difference in the plugs I bought and the +4 you list. Another reason I'm thinking of sending these back to BOSCHE is - they don't have a crush washer after all, I finally opened the box on one. Garrr I WANT a GD crush washer! Can you just buy a pack and add them on?

Thx qcksnake, i'm also a fan of the NGK for sure. In WA and cool weather I'm considering .056, thoughts?

NGK (6579) PTR5F-11 Double Platinum Spark Plug

According to Amazon this doesn't fit my 1st Gen Triton, but I call BS and can gap them to whatever I want to.

NGK (4177) TR6 V-Power Spark Plug

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Captain Morgan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Quick question?

Are ALL plugs for this 1st gen Triton supposed to be tapered?

I see some that are and some that arent, and hardly any with crush rings.

Anyone know for sure?

TIA

rtbrjason

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just ordered a set of plugs for my 99 5.4. I've read a lot about people having issues with various plugs and decided to stick with motorcraft. I went with the SP-479 from Rockauto for about 2.50 ea.

I didn't want to have to do this job twice so hopefully these will last a while and be trouble free.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Why in all that is horsepower.. Would you use a import tuner plug in a V8?? NGK plugs are theoretically only designed for small engine applications.. 4 and 6 cylinders.. and Turbo apps... Even the NGK sales rep told me to not use them in my Stage 2 Steeda.. So I went E3 for that

I use the NGK TR6's in my expy primarily because that is the most recommended plug among the lightning community. Its also the plug that was recommended by my engine builder (Manny of MHP) and tuner.

EDIT..

So its clear to others browsing this thread my expedition is supercharged. I am with qcksnake in that I would use stock motocraft plugs in a N.A. expedition.

Last edited:

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Because they work. I had them in my set up at 12psi making close to 600hp and they never missed a beat. Buddy of mine is running them in a stroked and turboed 97 GT. They're really popular among the high psi 03/04 crowd.

They might be on the cold side for a stock N/A motor though. They're one heat range colder then what comes stock in my Cobra. I don't know how those compare to the expy's though.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

Last edited: