yet more 4 wheel drive problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sinacle1

Reaction score
My 97 expedition is only going in 4 hi sometimes, after playing with it for an hour I got it in 4 hi maybe twice and in 4 lo once. Everywhere I look all I see is check vacuum lines, but I can't get the transfer case to switch. When I switch to a4wd I hear a faint click and the a4wd light comes on, when I go to 4 hi or lo, a4wd light goes off and nothing else happens. The once in a blue moon times it does go into 4 hi or lo I hear the clicks and clunks and the lights come on like normal. I already replaced the shift motor and checked every fuse I could find am I overlooking something. I got stuck in 4 lo and had to disconnect the battery cable to get it back into 2wd a couple of times, don't know if that is the same problem or a different one. PLEASE HELP, or point me to where i can find it.

OP
OP
sinacle1

sinacle1

Reaction score
Ok after more online searching it looks like what I want to check into is the relays that control the transfer case shift motor, and the GEM behind the fuse pane under the dash. apparently the relays are behind the radio. Does anyone have any experience with these relays? I'm not getting any voltage to my 4wd switch, and I already took my switch apart and cleaned it.

I have already been through all the hoops about putting it in neutral and hitting the brake, blah blah blah. I think I've got it down to an electrical problem now. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I will post more as I come across it, so far I haven't seen anything on here about my problems. Everything I've come across has been through other sites and googling, so hopefully if I get mine fixed it can help out others here also.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sinacle1

sinacle1

Reaction score
Ok, The only relay I found was over the left side of the radio, under the big part of the dash trim that goes from the right side of the radio all the way to the drivers door. After unplugging and playing around with the relay I now have 4 hi but no 4 lo. Better than nothing, but I use (or use to use) 4 lo quite often. Should I be seeing another relay for 4 lo? Does the one relay do both hi and lo?

reefkrazy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is good to know because some times I lose all of them. The switch goes dead. Then out of the blue it works again. right now, I got nothing.

JCount

Reaction score
Ok after more online searching it looks like what I want to check into is the relays that control the transfer case shift motor, and the GEM behind the fuse pane under the dash. apparently the relays are behind the radio. Does anyone have any experience with these relays? I'm not getting any voltage to my 4wd switch, and I already took my switch apart and cleaned it.

I have already been through all the hoops about putting it in neutral and hitting the brake, blah blah blah. I think I've got it down to an electrical problem now. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I will post more as I come across it, so far I haven't seen anything on here about my problems. Everything I've come across has been through other sites and googling, so hopefully if I get mine fixed it can help out others here also.
Did you ever find the solution to your 4wd problem. I'm having similar symptoms. I replaced the shift motor but did not help. Thanks

B

bedrck46

hope these help

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
sinacle1

sinacle1

Reaction score
Well its been a while, but I have changed the GEM out behind the fuse box and the selector switch on the dash. Still having the same problems. Any one else have any suggestions aside from cutting a hole in the floor and making a make shift linkage?

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
Selector switch could be bad.

I would also check that the center axle disconnect lever on the axle will move. It's a steel rod going through an aluminum housing and sometimes it will corrode and stick.

OP
OP
sinacle1

sinacle1

Reaction score
Played with it a little this morning and got it to go into 4 hi almost every time. Still won't go into 4 lo at all. Got under the truck and manually played with the front axle disconnect, when disengaged drive shafts spins freely, engaged doesn't. Guessing that works fine. I can hear it when I shift on the dash.

So it's just no 4 lo and occasionally no 4 hi. Was going to change the relay under the dash, but now I kinda feel like I'm just unnecessarily changing parts.

B

bedrck46

you may want to get under the transfer case and check the wiring connector for any signs of corrosion. clean all of the contact points in the connector and apply some dielectric grease or noalox which can be obtained in the electrical dept of Lowes or Home Depot