3/2” lift – Not so pleased with…

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bernard

Reaction score
I will try to be as informative as I can, hopping you find the writing helpful.

I got the 2012 EL (EB) some 3 months ago..
Got any pics of the finished job? Any noticable difference in the ride and handling?

I'm debating doing the same with my rig (07 EL EB) only putting 285/55 20s on it.
Did you refer to my lift?
Didn’t take any pics. I’ll do it tomorrow.

Any way.
I got the 3/2 spacers off eBay.
The work was a pain… all the bolts ware over tighten and wouldn’t open.
The kit came with rear instructions for 2gen Expedition, not for 07-on.
For the front, they tell you to disassemble the 2 bolts that connect the lower “A” arm to the chassis. Although it makes it easy to take out the strut, once you reassemble the suspension (tighten the bolts “at ride height”) you completely loose the front alignment…

All installed, it looks good.
I got just over 2” lift rear and just over 3” for the front – all measured from center of the wheel to the arch, above it.
Once I finished the installation, it was 2.5”/3.5” but it was settled to about 2”/3” after driving the EXPY for a mile or two.
Aside for the lost alignment, I think the ride is a bit harder. Just a bit.

One thing did have me worried, during the installation.
After reinstalling the front strut and bolt everything in place, when the suspension is in full “drop”, the upper “A” arm is touching the spring.
Actually, it’ was pushed hard to the spring.
That made me worried I did something wrong and I disassembled everything and start over – twice…
The upper “A” arm is moved away off the spring after the lowering the wheel, to take full weight of the EXPY and the suspension move up a little.
I am still a bit concerned because when offloading, if one wheel dropped (articulate) the “A” arm will get into contact with the spring – this is something to take under consideration if/when driving off-pavement.

As for the tires.
285/65-20 are almost the same size as my current stock 275/55-20.
I don’t think there will be any problem with the 285, even without any lift/level installed.

I do want to go for the 295/70-18 but…
kawika36??

Well...

Maybe its just me but I think that the front is higher than it should be.
I didn’t understand why the rear only gets 2”, to begin with and I still don’t get it.

Although the lift performs is as promised (3” front and 2”rear), I think I’m missing an inch on the back.
I definitely should realign the headlamp.

2010 EL EB after Lifting.jpg
Any way.
After installing the 3/2 lift/leveling kit, I went to get some measurements, to see how much rubber I can get under the EXPY.
In order to do that, I got to “flex” the suspensions – to fully compress one side and get the minimum space between the tire and everything around it, in order to determent the largest tire size that will fit without rubbing/touching anything.
Well, first I learned that “flexing” is not a term that can described any action of the EXPY’s suspension – the truck articulates as an ironing board… at list as long as the sway bars are connected.
Ford Expedition EL in Full Articulation .. so-called.jpg Rear Wheel is off the ground.jpg Rear Wheel is off the ground #2.jpg

Second, as I suspected, at full compression the (front) upper “A” arm’s ball joints /knuckle come into contact with the spring – in both sides...

Can't upload more pics here.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bernard

Reaction score
The upper “A” arm move down and get pushed hard to the spring. Although it is not much of concern if you don’t get off the pavement, it is definitely something to take under consideration if you do go/get into uneven terrene.
Front - Fully Dropped.jpg When fully dropped the Upper “A” Arm ….jpg and Bull Joint -Knuckle get pushed to the spring.jpg and some better look.jpg
I can see why some manufacturers have concerns with the angles and powers the ball joints have to deal with, with that kind of kit.
If you want to do this right, you have to consider modifying the front upper “A” arms and/or ball joints and/or knuckles...

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bernard

Reaction score
As for the tires, the closest parts to front tires remain pretty much the same, despite the 3” lift.
I have about 2” between the tire (OEM 275/55/20) and the power side steps and a little less than 1.5” from the tire to the upper bull joints/knuckle.
Front - Fully Compressed.jpg Front - Fully Dropped.jpg Rear - Fully Compressed.jpg Rear - Fully Dropped.jpg

Bottom line – apart of the EXPY is looking A LOT better and is better proportioned (especially with the soon to come larger tires), I don’t see significant improvement with the 3”/2” lift/leveling kit – at list for my purposes ..

The next step – deciding which tires to buy.

fasterthanlight

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not sure about size, but I am thinking about the GoodYear Dura Trac's and the Firestone Destination AT's.

The GoodYear's look great. Aggressive on the sides, but I fear they are made out of butter and would not last long.

tallsville

Full Access Members
Reaction score
looks good. as for the reason the rear gets an inch less lift. the expy is "truck" based and sits an inch higher in the rear for load leveling.

eddiemoney

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That sucks about the contact....i wonder if there is a way to put in a stop to prevent contact