PO430 code and non start issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alpine67

Reaction score
Hi everyone:

New here and have searched forum for other similar issues to the one I have. My wife's 03 Ex with 291,000 miles just died - I get only a PO430. Engine will turn over but not start. I have not checked for fuel or ignition issues yet, but wouldn't there be codes for those as well? Just curious if a bad cat would cause the engine to not start? Seems a little odd to me.

Wife indicated it was running okay prior to not starting, but had seemed to idle a little differently. She also said the check engine light had been on for some time.....

Any suggestions appreciated!

Thanks
George

Mediamonkey11

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First check for fuel, try starting fluid. Also, is your security light flashing funny?

B

bedrck46

see if you can hear the fuel pump running Have wife turn the key to the start position without starting while you listen for the pump. Also check to see if the emeg fuel cutoff switch isn't tripped check for spark check to see if any fuses blew

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
A

alpine67

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! If its the red led security light in the middle of the dash next to windshield, its operating as normal. I just checked the inertia switch and it wasn't tripped. Tried to listen for the fuel pump, and didn't hear anything, so tomorrow I'll look at fuses. In the event I need to dig deeper beyond the fuel system, are there any obvious ignition things I should check? I don't have a shop manual so don't know exactly where to check for voltage readings with meter.

Mediamonkey11

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Easiest and quickest way to check for spark if you are doubting fuel would be throw some starting fluid in the throttle body and she should fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B

bedrck46

ford workshop manual on DVD can be obtained from seller "morpheousking" on e-bay cost about $10.00 much better than Clymer or Chilton and also includes wiring diagrams

Check fuse #34 also check to see if you have power to the shut off switch if you do and didn't hear the fuel pump run could be the pump is bad do as Mediamonkey11 suggest and if it tries to start then you most likely need a fuel pump

when was the last time fuel filter was changed

Check for fuel pressure

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
A

alpine67

Reaction score
Update on diagnostics: I'm getting power to the ignition system -with key on I'm reading voltage at the COP, albeit rather low (2.5 volts), due to a mostly discharged battery. I'm going to need to clean the terminals and charge it before I do much more. However, I did get into the fuse box and took some readings there, with ignition key turned on. At the Green/Yellow wire junction I'm reading 6.2 volts instead of 12, which I read elsewhere may indicate a relay (R303, not a replaceable part of the fuse box assembly, unless you're handy with a soldering iron!) going bad. When I checked the voltage at fuse 34 (PCM relay) I got nothing, but the reading at the light blue/orange wire was 11.6 volts so the pcm was energizing the fuel pump relay coil. At this point I'm leaning towards a bad relay solder connection, which apparently is not uncommon in these trucks, or a bad fuel pump. I'll know more once I get the battery up to full charge and repeat the above tests. I'll probably pull the fuse box and check the circuit board for burns around R303 since its easier and less expensive than pulling and replacing the fuel pump.

B

bedrck46

there was a post awhile back about the 303 relay and some pics and prints about it Its a solid state relay I see if I can find it and let you know the title of that post

B

bedrck46

check out this post

05 expedition cranks but doesnt start

OP
OP
A

alpine67

Reaction score
I have the PC board out and there doesn't appear to be any burn marks around R303. But looking on the back side of the board, there does appear to be one very minor cold solder joint for one of the relay pins. Not what I expected to find, so I may check the continuity of all five relays while I have it out and see if there are any shorts. I guess I'm back to searching for other possible problems, including the fuel pump.R303-1.jpg

R303-2.jpg

Attachments

• R303-3.jpg
    R303-3.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 317