Wow what a pain in the brake.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

black 4x4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I decided to change the front rotors and pads today, went and bought the pads and rotors took the left from wheel off took the caliper off, pulled the rotor thinking it is going to pop right off and it's stuck.
Worked on that sucker for three hours. Beat the crap out of it with a hammer, no luck, sprayed with and anti seize spray no luck, got a six foot pipe to get a good leverage to pry it out no luck. That sucker was just stuck. Went to autozone to find something different so I ended getting this freeze anti seize thing and sprayed the crap out of it then kept hammering finally with the pipe lever and the hammer damn thing came off.

Now I can't put on the retaining clip back on. Tomorrow is gonna be interesting since I still have to do the right side.

409C8D3A-B396-4DA7-BB47-0D56DB7A015C_zpsrsxtpbab.jpg

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
that does look bad. even the base of the lug studs look rusted.

With all the banging and abusing.... what does it use for bearings on a 2wd? Maybe think about those too while everything is apart.

OP
OP
B

black 4x4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well...right side was a battle too. That sucker was stuck as bad as the left side but the hammering, freezing and prying worked. And now my back hurts lol. J/K. :biggrin:

Tom I was planning to order a pair of hubs if the truck rode any different or if there was any humming coming out of them but so far it's smooth and quiete. But because of the rust I will order a pair after the new year just for the piece of mind.
I just don't feel like takin the whole thing apart again. :biggrin:

Last edited:

bnicov

Reaction score
I would have cleaned them up good, and put some anti seize back there to prevent further issues. If the bearings got beat up during the ordeal, they will let you know shortly. Hopefully, they are fine.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and ur in LA...mine look nothing like that...wonder where it was before u got it

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've got a question for you and the other guys on the forum. Can't you use one of those pullers that bolt onto the studs, with the push bolt in the middle. Looks like a larger version of harmonic balancer puller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fryguy

Reaction score
I had the same problem when I did my front breaks. Thank god my brother was here. He had a bearing puller (for semi trucks) and was able to pop the rotors off fairly easy.

OP
OP
B

black 4x4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've got a question for you and the other guys on the forum. Can't you use one of those pullers that bolt onto the studs, with the push bolt in the middle. Looks like a larger version of harmonic balancer puller.

If I had one, or thought about it I'm sure it would've helped. So I guess I'll keep that in mind for the next truck because that thing is gone. :biggrin:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can even rent one from oreillys or auto zone. The last thing you want to do is bang on an item that rides on a bearing.