gem module

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B

bedrck46

being you have a GEM on order I would wait to see what happens when you replace the GEM and see if that solves your problems

B

bedrck46

the following information was copied from the 1997 Ford workshop manual

Module —Generic Electronic (GEM)
Removal

CAUTION: Prior to removal of the module, it is necessary to upload module configuration information to New Generation STAR (NGS) Tester. This information needs to be downloaded into the new module once installed. For additional information, refer to Section 418-01 .

CAUTION: Electronic modules are sensitive to electrical charges. If exposed to these charges, damage may result.

Disconnect the battery ground cable.
Remove the steering column cover. For additional information, refer to Section 501-12 .
Remove the (A) bulkhead electrical connectors from the (B) instrument panel fuse junction panel.

Remove the (A) instrument panel fuse junction panel bolts and remove the (B) interior fuse junction panel nuts.

Disconnect the (A) generic electronic module (GEM) electrical connectors from the (B) GEM.

Remove the screws and the GEM.

Installation

CAUTION: Once the new module is installed, it is necessary to download the module configuration information from the New Generation STAR (NGS) Tester into the new module. For additional information, refer to Section 418-01 .

NOTE: When the battery (10655) is disconnected and reconnected, some abnormal drive symptoms may occur while the vehicle relearns its adaptive strategy. The vehicle may need to be driven 16 km (10 miles) or more to relearn the strategy.

To install, reverse the removal procedure.
Check for proper operation.

OP
OP
danwheeler660

danwheeler660

Reaction score
Ok new used gem is in And I have the same problem.. They only code was for the purge valve solenoid the code was PO455 I even put a new gas cap on.. Ok so now I decided to start were my problem started I had the blower o high when the problem started. So I unplug the blower motor now everything seems to be back to normal I'm going to take the motor out later to day to bench test it.. Hopefully that is my problem..

OP
OP
danwheeler660

danwheeler660

Reaction score
Ok so i start to take the blower motor out. I took the kick panel out to get a little more room. And I saw were there is a lot or rust. so I decide to check the 2 ground wire and 1 of the came right out of the body. Once I reground that wire all e my problems are gone blower works awesome now and my lights work with out losing dash lights now I feel stupid for not checking that side of the car 1st and before I spent 70 on the gem unit that I got but now I have a spare I guess LOL

Attachments

• 1997 expedition ground (1) (Copy).JPG
    1997 expedition ground (1) (Copy).JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 103
  • 1997 expedition ground (2) (Copy).JPG
    1997 expedition ground (2) (Copy).JPG
    70 KB · Views: 236
  • 1997 expedition ground (3) (Copy).JPG
    1997 expedition ground (3) (Copy).JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 441

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That is enough for me to check all of the grounds. If it is bad in one spot it will be bad in others - fix it now or strand you later.

B

bedrck46

shame you didn't check the wiring first but it appeared that from the beginning you had your mind set that your problem was the GEM