JL Audio Stealthbox

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bricekin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey all... As some of you may know, I worked out a deal with JL on a 3rd gen Expedition EL stealthbox. I have a 2007 standard length model. The deal was basically that if this thing doesn't fit, I can send it back.

The other reason they are letting me do this is, if I can make very minor changes to what they already have in order to make it fit, they may update their production or website/instructions. Obviously, this means more money for them because of another vehicle fitment.

But... I need some help. Nobody makes a box for the 2nd gens, at least not that I know of. I am going to hopefully start this install tonight and what I need, are pictures of the factory enclosure in your 2nd gen, both installed and removed. Also, a measurement of the mounting posts for the factory enclosure would be appreciated. I do not believe the sheet metal changed at all so if this fits mine, I'm almost positive that it will also fit the 2nd gens which opens all of you up to a new subwoofer option.

I'll be taking pictures of my install process and posting them here, as well as my thread in the 3rd gen forum, tilted "My Expedition". More pictures of my audio build are there.

OP
OP
B

bricekin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The box containing the goodies
20130314_130654.jpg

The goodies
20130314_131019.jpg

The enclosure without the sub to make moving it around in the truck easier
20130314_140022.jpg
20130314_140030.jpg

The factory subwoofer enclosure and amplifier
20130314_195227.jpg

What it looks like with it removed
20130314_200519.jpg

Mocked up into place
20130314_202207.jpg

Ready to be bolted into place
20130314_202817.jpg

In place with the factory trim back on
20130314_210210.jpg

All done... factory grille back in
20130314_211359.jpg

Another shot of the factory subwoofer for reference
20130314_212850.jpg

Will update with more information in a bit.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bricekin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This thing bolted right in. Not 100% positive why JL said it wouldn't fit but it definitely does. The only real problem I encountered was with the grille. The EL panel is a little bit longer giving the grille a bit more room to take up on the panel. It doesn't want to fit all that well on the standard length model. I may go back and try to find a way to mount this.

Also, the bass performance was awesome with the storage tray out of the panel and with the seats down and cargo out of the truck. I'm not sure which one is robbing me of bass but I plan to find out. If it is the storage tray in the top of the panel, I'll build a small grille to take place of that tray since it never gets used anyway.

If it is the seats or the cargo, I guess I'll just have to tune around it.

I'll be updating this thread with more findings over the next week or so.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
your 3rd gen area looks...JUST LIKE MINE IN MY 2ND GEN...i bet it will fit in 03-06 as well

OP
OP
B

bricekin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
your 3rd gen area looks...JUST LIKE MINE IN MY 2ND GEN...i bet it will fit in 03-06 as well

I'm almost positive that it will. The only thing I think is different is that some of the second gens came with round grilles instead of the square ones? Dunno if this is true or not.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bricekin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is what I ended up doing for a grille. I never liked the idea of that square grille for mine to begin with... thought it looked cheesy.

Mine is made up of a JL 10" trim ring with a grille mounted in it. You can buy the grille separately but the trim ring you have to get from a local dealer or call JL direct. The other option is to take the trim ring you get with the stealthbox off since it is behind the panel anyway then mount the grille in it.

I popped the plastic rivets out of the rear side panel in the corner locations which just happen to fit every other hole of the trim ring almost perfectly. Then I used those little... I dunno, I call them speed clips... the little clips you always get with new speakers that you place on the metal and run the screw through. I put those on the plastic so I had something to screw into and DONE. I have no rattles and amazingly, while it is about twice the depth of the supplied grille, my third row actually folds past it by maybe a 1/16th of an inch.

Also, I removed all of my cargo and left the second row seats up and the majority of the bass that I had lost is back. I may still pop that storage tray out and see if I get any further improvement.

20130315_200659-1.jpg