01 expy steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big pappy

Reaction score
Ive always had some play in the steering wheel but since I offroad alot figured it was normal. Here's the situation. Was up in the UP last week offroading. Got back on highway and could feel tire vibration, steering wheel went from 10 to 2 with little effect and once i reached the two position, the wheel would kind of lurch back as if something was catching then releasing. I have a new pitman arm, idler arm, hubs and bearings. Good suspension. Found a four sided steering shaft with lots of play and movement. Need to know how to take and replace!!!!! I think i know how to remove from steering box but cant see where shaft ends as it goes up into the dash. Please help

Dannydude

Reaction score
Undo the shft from the pump and repkace the pump that's where i would start

Sent from my LG-Q710AL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Big pappy

Big pappy

Reaction score
Thanks. I am going to upload a few pictures of the shaft in questio .

1st is top view of shaft inside of greased sleeve. I removed the boot cover.
Second is nut i think i need to remove for releasing shaft

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There’s a piece of plastic around where the shaft connects into the steering box. Sort of hides how it connects.

Could do your steering box too. I also offroad mine and just put in a new Red Head Steering Gear. ZERO play in the steering now.

OP
OP
Big pappy

Big pappy

Reaction score
Hey Explorer Tom. Did you change any of the column shaft or u joints with the redhead system? Thanks

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nope. Just the steering gear.

All my other steering components after the steering gear are fairly new.