03 Expy Light Bar mounted Now vibration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
scoot0073

scoot0073

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There u go, you got the idea now, autozone (and similar) sells "make your own gasket) usually 1/8 rubber is sold along side other materials.
Thank u brother

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You're gonna get wind noise and harmonics from anything not aerodynamic that you mount up on your roof. Doesn't really matter what you do. It's just something you learn to live with. That's probably why you see more accessories like that mounted in the grill area and not up on the roof. On mine, even a set of Yakima roof rack bars are annoyingly noisy enough to be real buzz-kills. They're quick detach though, and I take 'em off when not in use. Gives the Expy a clean roof-line. That might be an option for you. Make the light-bar quick detachable, so you can take it off when you're not gonna be off-roading it. Mounted in that location it looks like you'd get some hellacious back-scatter from such bright lighting right at the top of your windshield. Do you have to put the visors down when you use the lights?

-Mike

Last edited:
OP
OP
scoot0073

scoot0073

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You're gonna get wind noise and harmonics from anything not aerodynamic that you mount up on your roof. Doesn't really matter what you do. It's just something you learn to live with. That's probably why you see more accessories like that mounted in the grill area and not up on the roof. On mine, even a set of Yakima roof rack bars are annoyingly noisy enough to be real buzz-kills. They're quick detach though, and I take 'em off when not in use. Gives the Expy a clean roof-line. That might be an option for you. Make the light-bar quick detachable, so you can take it off when you're not gonna be off-roading it.

-Mike
Yea wasn't sure if the vibration or soft humming was normal. But it's not loud enough to get annoying so if the rubber in between the mounts and door jam doesn't help then I think I can live with it.
I need to get a level and level out the bar BC it's hard trying to get it even by eye..
But definitely love it

OP
OP
scoot0073

scoot0073

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What mounts did u use for the light bar?
I had to make them from scratch out of 1/8 flat stock steel.
It was a a days job to get them both made.
BC one you can't buy them for my Expedition so had no choice since I wanted them in the door jam instead of the roof.

Reaction score
I had to make them from scratch out of 1/8 flat stock steel.
It was a a days job to get them both made.
BC one you can't buy them for my Expedition so had no choice since I wanted them in the door jam instead of the roof.

can you please post some pictures of everything you used and the brackets you used. and what brand and size light bar is it? they dont make any brackets and i really want to make some and yours is perfect. thanks