Band mounted TPMS - watch out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well I have an 08 ford expedition, which for the last 2 years has had a problem with the TPMS sensors (they were changed 3 years ago, but the message center kept giving a TPMS error message) and juddering from the front end (most noticeably when braking).

My wheels are stock 20" alloy wheels with some kind of chrome plated hub caps that are pressed or glued to the alloy wheel, these are stock ford wheels, over the years the chrome has peeled off, revealing the plastic underneath. They now look truly awfull so I decided to splash out on a set of used F150 wheels (with no chrome plating!!).

I got some lovely wheels (exact same wheel size as my wheels), I had to cut the excess thread off the left and right rear half shafts so it doesn't foul on the F150 wheels, but everything fits fine and the car drives beautifully. I also fitted new stem mounted TPMS units to the wheels as the wheels came of a 2020 F150 and the TPMS sensors don't work with my 08.

So far so good, the truck drives great, the TPMS has not reported any errors and the juddering from the front was greatly reduced (but still noticable when braking). I fitted new front rotors and pads and this completely cured the juddering, so $250 for rotors and pads, $60 for new TPMS and $750 for the wheels and the truck is perfect!!

My old wheels still had their tyres on, which are less than 50% worn, so I decided I would remove the tyres from the rims and keep the tyres for later on. After I had removed all 4 tyres, I was looking at my rims, it still seems a shame to throw them away as they are alloy wheels (which seem in good condition), just the chromed plastic inserts that look awful. I have not been able to remove the plastic inserts, I suspect they are glued in very well!! Anyway, I thought it was a shame to throw away the 3 year old band mounted TPMS units, an decided to remove the sensors (No idea what I will do with them!!), the first 2 came out just as expected, but when I went to remove the 3rd unit, it just rotates around inside the RIM (on the metal belt), the belt that secures the sensor has obviously come loose!! These sensors are quite heavy, so if the sensor was moving around inside the wheel, I can easily see that causing in-balance and juddering, I am also wondering if the sensor being easily able to move around also caused the TPMS error messages that I have been seeing for the last 2 years!! The 4th TPMS was perfect, just like the first 2. I am assuming the wheel with the loose TPMS was on one of my front wheels, but that's just a guess!!!

So the point of this long winded message is to tell anyone with the band mounted TPMS units to check that the bands are still tight whenever you change the tyres, I still can't see how mine became loose as they are staked in place by ford, but it has come lose..

Any ideas what to do with the old wheels, seems a shame to put them in the landfill, but I don't want to spend any time/money on them, are there places that take used alloy wheels and refurbish them to sell on (I didn't see any when I was looking for my replacement wheels). The alloy rims don't look to be damaged or marked, just the pressed/glued in plastic/chrome facade that looks terrible.

Gary