'03 XLT 5.4 with tons of electrical issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jcims

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Having lots of electrical issues with our '03 XLT. Just thought i'd swing by to see if anyone has suggestions for the following:

1. Driver door window intermittently not working. Have to lean into the door from the inside and press hard to get it to go up. Goes down fine. I'm pretty sure this is the door switch, but having to press into the side of the door has me scratching my head.

2. Front blower fan only operates on 4. These went out one at a time (first 1, then 2, then 3 over the course of a year or so. 1 kind of works now, but barely)

3. Door Ajar light will periodically not go out for a few days at a time (while the key is on of course).

4. Side mirror lights not going out after shutting down vehicle. This may be related to the door ajar issue, but i'm not sure.

5. Rear air fan and compressor not working at all...for A/C or heat. Fuse is good. This has been out for at least a year.

6. 'Kerplunk kerplunk kerplunk' sound constantly coming from A/C compressor unit in back of vehicle (regardless of actual setting of that system). This just started happening a month ago.

I'd take it in to have it looked at but i'm probably looking at $3-5K to have service fix it all. The initial guesstimate from the service department for the front a/c fan alone was $850-1200.

Thanks for any suggestions you might be able to provide!

Last edited:

masterwrench

Reaction score
#2-blower motor resistor

#3-door ajar switch-goes in latch from inside of door

#4door ajar switch will cause this also

#6-rear blend door motor has failed

Dont know about #1 and #5 without looking at it.

lakmflx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Also, spaying WD-40 on all the locks on the door, even the liftgate lock.. will sometimes make the door ajar go away. Spray all the locks and then cycle them (lock, unlock, lock,unclock) a few times and see if that fixes the problem.

gglaeser22

Reaction score
#1 sounds like switch. Mine was the same. down worked ok, up I had to push door with leg and then push down on driver window button on an angle. Replaced this morning and it works perfect. About $75 at local Ford Dealer.