04 EB factory 4ohm sub amp with 2ohm load?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have been pondering this, and yes I know it's questionable, but I like thinking through things and tinkering. My 04 Exp came with a 4ohm amp for the sub, which differs from the 2ohm amp in every other 2nd gen I have seen. Any idea if the 4ohm amp can handle a 2ohm load? Obviously I'm curious if I could coax another 25-50% power out of it, ya know maybe get up to ~70watts LOL.

I'm tempted to replace the HU with a Kenwood DPX794BH(if they are ever available again) and the subwoofer with an 8" 4ohm DVC if the amp can handle a 2ohm load. I like messing with things and would kinda like to try it unless I know for sure it won't work. Then I can decide whether or not to go forward with all new speakers and higher power amps. I'm not willing to do it "right" due to not being able to sacrifice any interior space for the stereo as I have in previous vehicles. I have detailed some of the full system requirements to be used if I go that far if anyone is interested I'll post them.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i wont take 2ohm load without wiring for it...some wondered the same years ago and wire the amp down to 2ohm somehow and got more output...put the speaker will pop like crazy cuz its only a 35w rms sub...changing the HU will be a minimum sound output...you'll notice it over stock HU but nothing to be satisfied with...JL Stealth has 1k rms sub/enclosure for that area...just add amp and the enclosure goes in the panel since u dont want to lose cargo space...i hid a 6k and 4-ch amps in there before doing my c-pillar wall...you could make a box to fit in there panel and make a cutout for the sub to either be exposed or mesh cover which was my initial idea but went with 4-18s...lol

post up ur other cars and setups

OP
OP
whtbronco

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks GAINMOB. I figured the amp probably wouldn't work, but....

The sub isn't much better than stock, but it was replaced with an MTX Thunder4500(100watt RMS) 14 years ago and again about 2 months ago since the voice coil had shorted. I put another of the same model in since it was sitting in the closet brand new. I reckon I'll end up making a fiberglass and MDF box for a 10" sub with an amp. Honestly I'd rather make a box than spend the money on a JL Stealth box, unless I could find one used for a reasonable cost. I love building stuff anyway.

The HU is mostly to restore radio reception and get me the dang equalizer that I miss so much. Bass/treble alone just don't do the trick, but I know I will miss the large easy to use buttons of the stock HU that do not require me to look.

I have a terrible track record of starting something and ending up going a bit over the top. I am trying desperately to resist that urge this time, LOL.

Have you ever mounted an amp under the front cup holders in the console? If(when most likely) I put amps in I am thinking about mounting them there for ease of access along with a small computer fan.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks GAINMOB. I figured the amp probably wouldn't work, but....

The sub isn't much better than stock, but it was replaced with an MTX Thunder4500(100watt RMS) 14 years ago and again about 2 months ago since the voice coil had shorted. I put another of the same model in since it was sitting in the closet brand new. I reckon I'll end up making a fiberglass and MDF box for a 10" sub with an amp. Honestly I'd rather make a box than spend the money on a JL Stealth box, unless I could find one used for a reasonable cost. I love building stuff anyway.

The HU is mostly to restore radio reception and get me the dang equalizer that I miss so much. Bass/treble alone just don't do the trick, but I know I will miss the large easy to use buttons of the stock HU that do not require me to look.

I have a terrible track record of starting something and ending up going a bit over the top. I am trying desperately to resist that urge this time, LOL.

Have you ever mounted an amp under the front cup holders in the console? If(when most likely) I put amps in I am thinking about mounting them there for ease of access along with a small computer fan.
since u have history of overdoing installs i would search to see if you can get the measurements of the stealth box and build it...fraction of the cost and you could possibly get orders from others here looking for the same solution...just a thought cuz i like to build things too...lol...i've taken the console apartt and unless u have a tiny 100w amp there's no room for an amp...only to run wires...i have thought about making a custom center console with a sub and push button leds for switches

OP
OP
whtbronco

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I go too far with things frequently, especially if you ask my wife. However, you sir are on a whole 'nother level of going too far, LOL. Your sub install is absolutely incredible, and truly impressive, kinda hard to haul more plywood in your Expedition now though.

I'm planning to pull the factory sub box next week and start working on a replacement.

Now I gotta find a place to mount an amp for the speakers, probably behind the dash ugh. I reckon the sub amp will have to go in the back with the sub.