04 Slips/Slams into 1st gear on takeoff

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jandreau13

Reaction score
Hello Everyone, I have a 2004 4x4 5.4L Eddie Bauer Expedition that I bought in a auction so I don't know really know anything about the vehicle. It has several minor issues/codes like the rear backup sensor and TPMS system not working (It has aftermarket rims which I assume is the reason). My biggest concerns that I currently don't know where to begin are as follows:

1) It seems to go into 1st fine but barely moves until a certain rpm seems to be reached then it slams into gear and for the most part drives alright. I had a 99 F-250 5.4L with a work body and ladder rack that had 40k more miles on it and it would vastly out perform this thing in all areas from acceleration to stopping power, Granted this does have 22" aftermarket rims as mentioned.

2) I get a low oil pressure message on the information system on the right hand side of the steering wheel (I do not know what it is called), However it shows oil pressure being in the middle of the gauge and doesn't make any odd noises while running. I have connected it to my laptop using Auto Enginuity but I do not see any sensors for oil pressure when monitoring live data like I do for other vehicles, I haven't had a chance to physically inspect the oil pressure sensor and I bought a new sensor and manual oil gauge which I plan to try to check manually and probably replace when I do my a oil change since it appears to be overfilled and kind of smells like bad gas (Again another concern).

3) I get some vibration/wobbling I believe to be in the front (which I assume is at least partly due to the rims) and I plan to inspect the ball joints/tie rods/etc., My main concern is I have 4-hi and 4-low flashing randomly while driving (I believe usually when vibration gets bad).

4) This is the first 4WD vehicle I have owned, Is it normal to have a rather loud audible clunk (which I believe is the system engaging)? Probably similar to the sound of a ratchet slipping and hitting metal for instance.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, hopefully you didn't pay more than a hundred bucks for it at auction. When you do your oil change use a 10w-30, or a 10w-40 synthetic oil and Motorcraft oil filter ( Walmart ). The oil pressure sending unit is just a On/OFF type sender. ON above 7 psi if I remember right, and OFF below that. So all you're seeing there on the dash gauge is the on or off signal. Might be worth just doing a transmission flush, with new fluid and filter. See if there's anything in the pan when you pull it off. Yes, the lower ball joints are typical to wear out around 100k miles. How do the dust boots look ? If they're cracked or deteriorated replace the ball joint. The inner tie rods are also early wear items, especially with oversize tires/wheels or 4x4 in general. The 4x4 engagement noise you'll have to put it up on a lift and listen from underneath as someone engages the system, to see where and what the noise might be. Good luck.

expyaddict

Reaction score
I had issues with my 03 4x4 5.4 L XLT last year that sounded like your #1 issue. Mine was just low on transmission fluid.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
as far as the rims...that MAY NOT be the cause of the TPMS error...1...there may not be any sensors in the wheels...2...there may be sensors and bad...3...may just need to be reset...4...the module may be bad

regards to the wobble in the front wheels...ball joints need to be replaced and thats not due to having aftermarket rims...i have an 04 and have had 24s and 26s on my truck for 14yrs now...replaced my joint twice since 2004 brand new...the roads are horrible where im at...big rims or not the ball joints take a beating no matter what

check the upper/lower control arms too