04 UCA replacement options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SepticFuddy

Reaction score
So I've looked all over and even on Ford's site I can't find any reference to a Motorcraft LEFT UCA for the 2004... only the right side model. Unless somebody can show me otherwise, it seems I'm stuck looking at aftermarket options.

All the discussions I've read suggest that Moog's RK line is trash, which is all I see from them anymore. TRW as I understand is lower tier than Moog-branded stuff... or maybe RK is lower; I don't know. For the Mevotech Supreme line I've found both high praise and warnings.

I don't see ANYONE talking about the Delphi, AC Delco Gold, or Suspensia options I see on Rock Auto in the "daily driver" category. Anyone have any insight on those options in regards to quality/longevity?

Thanks

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My thoughts are similar to yours on brands. Moog RK is not good, Moog K or CK are better, but I think Moog quality has declined over the years. I do have TRW lower front control arms, over 125k miles on them now.

Here's an OEM left upper control arm for air suspension from Summit:

I think the only difference in the UCA for standard vs air suspension is the pushrod connector for the height switch. I am not certain on that though.

OP
OP
SepticFuddy

SepticFuddy

Reaction score
I'm impressed you even managed to find that. None of the conversion kits seem to come with UCAs, so it seems to me like that would work just fine. Anyone who knows better feel free to chime in.

Good to know about your TRW experience either way, thanks.

Speed 330

Reaction score
Detroit Axle bought some upper a arms over there a year ago lifetime warranty look pretty good so far so good
Has anyone lowered their expedition looking to do a 4wd lowered like 2in front 3 in back or does anyone know who has

That really depends on the shop. I'd rather have it done by someone who knows cam phaser replacement inside and out, and due to the number of failures on these, Ford technicians are way beyond expert at this, which is sad. That said, I'd trust my local mechanic to do it, but would prefer Ford to pay for it and do it.

I have a 2008 Exp XLT with 5.4L with 66,700 miles(yes very low) and we are original owners.
Never had any problems until 9/11/23. Wife went to leave and everything was fine. She stopped at stop sign and the engine had a terrible shake. Take off and it mostly goes away. No CEL right away, but then after 5 mins it came on.

I put my diagnostic reader on it and got code P0016. So many said change the CRK sensor. So I did. Nothing changed.
Took it to mechanic close by so I didn't drive it far. He got the same code and a couple others and also a misfire on #3. Advised to do plugs and COPs(coils). 4 hours later & $1300, same issue. I should have done #3 only, but thought it would be wise to do all. He did more digging and found the #3 still misfiring and is only getting 60lb max on pressure test.

He now seems to think it is a valve issue and wants to do a top end job one both heads. Complete rebuild costing at min $6k. Hard to do that and it may be something else, with the vehicle only being worth $5500. I would rather just fix #3 valves. It doesn't smoke, lose oil or burns oil. So we are ruling out ring issues.

Everything I read for the code says cam timing issues and VCT and/or cam phaser. However if VCT or phaser is bad, wouldn't all cylinders misfire on that bank? Odd it is just #3 right? Low compression is weird also. Everything fails but I can't see timing components going bad at only 67k mileage.

I did find one thing interesting. Cold start, the vibration is there but not bad. As the engine warms and gets to operating temp, vibration seems to get worse. In gear it is horrible and engine seems to want to shut off. Shift to neutral, it is not that bad and RPMs go up a little. It also seems to lighten up as the RPMs get over 1200 and runs fine to me.

No crazy noises coming from the engine at all. No chain noise or extreme tapping in heads.

Is there anything else I should be looking at?

Speed 330

Reaction score
Ground Force suspensions four-wheel drive or two wheel drive can lower your vehicle

Vincent Vega

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got UCAs from Napa last year and they have been great. I have beat them up a little offroad and they have held up . On road it drives like a new truck. I have heard nothing but bad things about Moog recently, and I have been burned too many times by Oreillys and those big box stores.

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In the past I would buy the Napa Gold series parts and not question them. They were often made in the US and typically good quality. The Napa here now seems to sell only the same hit or miss cheap stuff the other stores do.

It seems to be getting difficult to find a good quality aftermarket parts brand. I lean towards OEM parts when available now days despite the cost.

kep5niner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In the past I would buy the Napa Gold series parts and not question them. They were often made in the US and typically good quality. The Napa here now seems to sell only the same hit or miss cheap stuff the other stores do.

It seems to be getting difficult to find a good quality aftermarket parts brand. I lean towards OEM parts when available now days despite the cost.
Amen.

Vincent Vega

Full Access Members
Reaction score

@whtbronco yes Napa has me worried, too. I have a 96 Bronco that I have been bringing back to life. It is old so I can't get many Motorcraft parts for it, so I have been buying mostly Napa. I have bought alot of ignition parts, EGR, hoses, intake gaskets, O2 sensors, stuff like that. About half of it is made in USA, lots of Mexico, a couple from Taiwan. So far, none from China, which is mainly what Autozone and Oreillys sells. I am not thrilled with foreign parts, so they have me a bit worried right now, but I have not had any problems so far with Napa.

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@Vincent Vega that's good to hear. Maybe Napa parts remain a bit better than the other chain stores. The others often leave a lot to be desired.

Good luck with the Bronco. I love Bronco, the 78 Bronco is my favorite vehicle ever.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett