05 06 expeditions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

parkerdoug383

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is it best to avoid these years I hear they were the worst with the 3v engines

Jeff Scott

Reaction score
Nice to know now, where were you when my kid bought this thing? I all honesty, I’m head over heels for the old girl and I actually like the Triton. Plenty of power, rides like a dream...likes some gas though. I’ve been tinkering and giving her plenty of TLC. She’s responding. I get smarter by the day on count of her.

Not challenging your statement but just what makes them the problem children versus the earlier and later years? Please share and let’s see what all we can learn. Thank you.

OP
OP
P

parkerdoug383

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not an expert by any means I've just read a lot on the early 3v like timing and cam phaser issues and the 2 piece spark plugs which commonly break doesn't happen with all of them but extremely common and very expensive .like I said I am not an expert just looking for other people's opinions.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 05, and 06, and early 07's had the worst problem with the oil pumps. Also to make matters worse they had gaskets behind the phasers that leak. When that happens the oil pressure to the phasers goes wonky, and either retards or advances timing when it shouldn't. Moving along, Ford decided putting an outside fuel pump driver module up near the spare tire would be a good idea! Wrong, they get moisture, and crud in there, then the fuel pump stops pumping. And lastly you've got those original 2 piece spark plugs, which hopefully have been changed to the one piece ones. The good news is, if the previous owner was real diligent about oil changes, you may not have a problem at all. A good friends son has a 06 F150 pickup, same vehicle, and hasn't had a lick of trouble. He's real on it when it comes to maintanence, and so far he hasn't had to dig into the motor at all.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

mbtech2003

Full Access Members
Reaction score
love my 05... 130k i did the phazers and complete timing kit and lifters. except the oil pump.. didnt know at the time they were problematic... but I has 170k miles now and still runing great... I do use 5w30 oil now full synthetic. I did the fuel pump module too and under coated it to protect it from corrosion. I change the spark plugs every 40k miles and use ant-seize. they come out every time.

DASAGT

Reaction score
love my 05... 130k i did the phazers and complete timing kit and lifters. except the oil pump.. didnt know at the time they were problematic... but I has 170k miles now and still runing great... I do use 5w30 oil now full synthetic. I did the fuel pump module too and under coated it to protect it from corrosion. I change the spark plugs every 40k miles and use ant-seize. they come out every time.

I love my 2005, changes out the plugs about the same time as you, never knew about the oil issues though?

SEPTIC PROFESSOR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you have an ounce of brains, you will buy either an 03 or 04 with the 5.4 engine (it's a 2-valve, of course) and never buy anything newer. The 5.4 in my 03 XLT 2WD has around 250K and has been bulletproof.

Tedstech

Reaction score
Lol. Yes, I do have a few ounces of brain. I own a 2006 Lincoln Navigator with 120k miles. I went with the 06 because of the upgrade to a 6 speed automatic. Older than 05 came with the 4 speed. Much smoother shifting and overall better feel. I do synthetic oil every 5k miles with no problems. Neighbor put 200k on his 05 expedition with no problem other than coils which they all have that problem. Just speaking from my own personal experience, not just internet talk

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was the second owner of my '06 bought it at 130k and put a 100K on it when I sold it at 230,000. Take care of it like anything else. But yes I prefer my '04.

Password

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have an '06 with 165k miles. No major issues, been holding out on changing the timing belt/chain and water pump. Have the bubbling paint, not sure if that an 05-06 only issue or just Ford, but at least it isn't mechanical.