05 Expedition E.B. Engine Idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MattB

Reaction score
So my 05 Expedition idle drops from 900-1000 to about 250-400 sometimes lower, I have replaced the fuel filter, all spark plugs and coils, cleaned the throttle body and the MAF, did an engine flush and changed the air filter.

I am able to keep a good idle while in P and N, but once I go to Drive or Reverse the engine starts to stutter and and shake like it is about to die.

I found sites about checking the IAC, but I do not know where it is located. if anyone has any pictures of it please post or the location of it under the hood will work too. I am at my last thought on what else I can do, before I gut the engine to change the Phaser's. I do have new VTC solenoids but have not yet replaced, due to the fact I am not sure how to remove them without tearing the covers.

thanks for any advice that can be given.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The '05 and newer have the 3V motor, so no IAC valve. Is it throwing any codes ?

-Mike

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MattB

Reaction score
I have looked in the location that is in the pictures, but I beleive that is for 04 and later models. On the 05 that I have there is nothing like that. I even pulled the throttle body off again to be sure.

I read some other sites and it states that the Fuel Pump Driver Module may be the issue. I plan to drop the spare tire when I get home today and check to see if it is corroded. I hope this is the issue, so that I stop throwing money at it.

On the bright side I have learned more about the Expy in the last few months then I thought I would. I would still like to find the IAC. Even the Haynes book shows the same spot that your pictures show, but in the Haynes book it states "04 and later models".

There is so little about the 05 and earlier models out there, hopefully I find the issue and I can share the fix.

OP
OP
M

MattB

Reaction score
FPDM was not corroded, so now I am back to trying to find the IAC for the 5.4L engine. Any ideas out there?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chris7990