05 Expedition electrical issue.....Expy's trying to kill me!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mikes05expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So about 3 weeks ago I'm parked, truck running, waiting for the wife to get off work and it just stops running. I turn the key off and back on again and nothing, won't even turn over. I get a sound like the low fuel tone and the message center starts rattling off things(I'll post pics from my phone, pc's not cooperating), I wait about 15 minutes and it fires back up and everything is fine, all gauges are normal, no more messages. It happens again about a week ago but this time while I'm driving, luckily late at night on a dead road so I'm able to get it pulled into a parking lot. It sits about 5 minutes fires up and I'm back on the road........for about 1 mile then dies again, sat for another 10 minutes before I'm back on the road. 3rd time was the other night coming home during the snow storm, I go to back in my driveway and it dies with half the truck in the street and of course I live on a busy street so I have a city plow truck coming at me as soon as it dies. Plow misses me but still scares the sh*t outta me. Now tonight I'm on my way home stopped at a light and I hear the low fuel tone again and the message center says Check AdvanceTrac, which is what it said all the other times it died except this time it's still running, until the light changes and I go to pull away and nothing. I got a guy in an F150 to pull me into a parking lot to assess the situation. Nothing visually under the hood looks out of order, sounds great while it is running so I'm at a loss. This time it sits about 20 minutes and we make it back home safely.

This has only started happening since it's been wet/snowy lately and it's driving me nuts trying to figure out what's going on. It is throwing a code for the passenger side cat but that was going on well before this problem, I'm gonna take it tomorrow and have the CEL read again just to see if anything new has come up but in the mean time I just wanted to see if anyone else and heard of or dealt with anything like this.

OP
OP
Mikes05expy

Mikes05expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So here's the messages that came up on the message center when it died, in order if that matters at uploadfromtaptalk1389336399364.jpguploadfromtaptalk1389336415821.jpguploadfromtaptalk1389336464313.jpg

Sent from my $amsung $III using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Mikes05expy

Mikes05expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I was a little off. When it died tonight it was the Charging Sys Data Error message that came up first this time after the "hey idiot something's wrong" tone, and the battery light came on while that message came up but the truck was still running.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alternator is dying...it will get worse...then it will die and even with a jump u won't be able to do anything...and more than likely ur battery won't maintain a proper charge aftee u charge it...happened to me in 2011

Holy Rollerz Christian Car Club (HRC3)

OP
OP
Mikes05expy

Mikes05expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Alternator is dying...it will get worse...then it will die and even with a jump u won't be able to do anything...and more than likely ur battery won't maintain a proper charge aftee u charge it...happened to me in 2011

Holy Rollerz Christian Car Club (HRC3)

Forgot to mention that also, the alternator died on me this past summer so it's new, battery tested out fine at the time. It'd be nice if it was just the battery but that's not my luck. Plus it started just fine when it was -15° so I don't think it's the battery.

RevBBD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine did that and it was the alternator. Paid for someone else to do it as I was on the road taking daughter to college. New HD alternator and a few hundred bucks later it did it again. Somehow they ganked up the connectors, but once that was fixed the "Christine" like behavior went away.

B

bedrck46

You may want to look at the connector on the alternator I have read on here problems of the connector coming loose after alternator has been changed

Clean the contacts and maybe use a ty-rap to hold it in place

Last edited by a moderator: