05 Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RideSlow

Reaction score
Back story: we bought our 05 ford Expedition in may this year in Vegas with 115k. Have had no issues with it til we moved to Minnesota. We are more NW so lots of snow. Weather is too cold so I took it to a well known shop up here and had my oil changed and oil filter changed. Ran perfect til the next morning started it got ready and 20mins later the truck was off. Aka it stalled out. Oil was all out and on the driver side. I called the mechanics that did the oil change and they came out to check it. It was the oil filter seal had busted they put on a new one put more oil inside asked me to bring it to the shop. Less than 24 hours later had to go get a coworker from work after they close the bar. at 2:30 in the morning same thing happened again oil all over the ground. I contacted the shop again. They came and got the truck. After doing an evaluation they have said that the truck is not getting correct oil pressure saying it’s supposed to have anywhere between 50 to 80 psi it’s at 120. The first thing that popped in my mind was they didn’t put on the correct oil filter so it was expanding and busted. Now I believe my pressure relief valve is closed. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• IMG_2360.jpeg
    IMG_2360.jpeg
    143.5 KB · Views: 5

SafariGoneWrong

Reaction score
The stock oil pump bypass relief should be around 60 psi. Those of us that put the Melling M360 pump on have about an 80 psi relief. If you’re seeing 120psi, that has to be an oil pump bypass failure. The question is what caused it. Quick story: I put a Melling high volume oil pump on my Bronco 4.9 6 cylinder, 1987 about 2 years ago. The oil filter burst after 10 seconds of running.

OP
OP
R

RideSlow

Reaction score
It took a few minutes and made a noise. Sounds like a gruggling sound. Probably took 10 minutes or so to stall. But the weather has been bruttle in the negatives so you start it then go inside. Mind you the truck worked just fine after the first oil change and after they fixed it. Then the 2nd time happened. I’m just at a lost.

Randy-IA

Reaction score
They should have used 0 or 5 - xx, I'm in northern Iowa and 5 -20 worked in my '04 5.4 just fine until the transmission died. As for the bypass valve... can't add anything for that other than it sounds a little coincidental.