11 navigator stalling out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

69charged

Reaction score
Hello all.
Looking to see if anyone can help me out with a little problem ive been having. i have a 2011 navigator that has been stalling at start up lately. when i go out to start it in the morning, it turns over, sometimes for a few seconds, then kinda starts, and stumbles a lot. when it does finally start, it blows out what looks like black smoke, and smells really rich. once this clears up, it runs fairly well. i say fairly well because it also hesitates as you accelerate. ive had 5.4's and v10's before, and it almost seems like a COP, but if i tramp on it hard, it goes away. only under light throttle does it do it. or in a heavy headwind.
i changed the plugs, and looked at the COP boots, and they LOOKED ok. but when it gets warmer, i intend to buy the accel coil packs. it seems like it is a leaky injector, or the computer is reading the wrong info to start? i should also mention that it seems REALLY hard on fuel compared to my previous 08 expy. with or without the programmer.

ive searched high and low for the same problem from someone else, and there was only one thread where the guy had the same problem, but was never answered. so i dont know. also was wondering if it could be something to do with the egr sticking? i do have it 5star tuned, but this problem was showing up before,along with a P130 and P150 code, for O2 sensors. i have just recently replaced all 4, and these codes no longer come up. but my problem is still there.

hope someone can help. its draining my wallet on fuel running around for hockey!!!
thanks all
clarence

17LimitedExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I see you state the problem was there before the tune, but recommend you return it to stock tune and clean the MAF...then see what you get.

theoldwizard1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dirty aftermarket air cleaners are a common culprit. Also dirty MAF.

I don't recall if that model year has "throttle by wire" or not. If it does NOT, that is a classic description of a clogged idle air control solenoid. Remove and clean it.

Last edited:
OP
OP

69charged

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions guys. It's pretty cold here right now so I will clean the MAF next week.
No I did not do the idle relearn. Have been working on vehicles for a long time and have never heard of this. Not that it's not a thing, just never heard of it.
Thanks and I'll let you guys know how it goes.
Clarence

OP
OP

69charged

Reaction score
What about data logging with the x3? Anybody done it, and what does it read to log?

JollyRoger

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd say clean the MAF (5 minute job) first. Not sure how many miles you have on the vehicle but it could be the COPS. FYI, I've read that the Accel versions are junk. I've used the AC Delco ones that are made in Mexico...around $220 for the set and I've been happy with the longevity...about 65K on the current set and they are fine. Both my Expeditions needed new COPS at about 100K miles.

OP
OP

69charged

Reaction score
I currently have about 245000 Kms on it. I have no idea when they were changed, if ever. When I did the plugs not that long ago, the 2 rear ones looked like they had never been changed. I was confident that was the problem. But no go.

OP
OP

69charged

Reaction score
Well, I brought it in the garage and cleaned the MAF. No go. I don't have an aftermarket intake or anything. I also did the idle relearn procedure, and no go. I also have yet to return it to stock, so I will try that next.
Clarence