14 Expedition cutting out at highway speeds when on incline.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TripleJ

Reaction score
This vehicle cut hard twice and ended up quitting in September. Engine light was on, would not restart. Had it towed and dealer looked it over, found nothing wrong.
Since then has run fine except it will cut out slightly when going up an incline at about 60mph. It is very consistent, will cut every time I'm on the same roads. It will cut approximately every 2.5 seconds until cresting the hill. After lifting the accelerator it will stop. It is not a hard cut, but noticeable. Dealer did a tune up Changed spark plugs, ignition coil boots, fuel filter. Absolutely no change in performance. Just looking for potential clues for a fix instead of trade off. Thanks in advance. JJJ

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This vehicle cut hard twice and ended up quitting in September. Engine light was on, would not restart. Had it towed and dealer looked it over, found nothing wrong.
Since then has run fine except it will cut out slightly when going up an incline at about 60mph. It is very consistent, will cut every time I'm on the same roads. It will cut approximately every 2.5 seconds until cresting the hill. After lifting the accelerator it will stop. It is not a hard cut, but noticeable. Dealer did a tune up Changed spark plugs, ignition coil boots, fuel filter. Absolutely no change in performance. Just looking for potential clues for a fix instead of trade off. Thanks in advance. JJJ

If your vehicle’s engine light was on - the vehicle should have had one or more stored trouble codes. What codes did the dealer retrieve?

The 2014 Expedition does not have a separate, in-line fuel filter. The filter is in the gas tank, as part of the fuel pump module. Are you sure the dealer changed the fuel filter? What part number was listed on the invoice?

KARWECK

Reaction score
I had the same issue. These motors burn through sparkplugs. If you have a miss under a load it is more than likely the issue. I think Ford recommends replacing them every 50-60k miles, I replace mine every 20k to avoid the issue. Look into it.

Bubba Miller

Reaction score
I had that issue in my '99 expo. Turned out the fuel pump assembly was broken and was moving around in the fuel tank. At times it would starve for fuel and the motor would cut out. But, it would recover and I would drive off wondering why. It wasn't until the fuel pump died that I figured out the issue.

Vdubnick

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not sure about this ^, platinum plugs will go 100,000.
yep, if everything else is operating correctly, plugs should last as long, or longer than recommended intervals. if you have plugs not making it long, you have other issues going on (PCV, coil, 02, etc)

Vdubnick

Full Access Members
Reaction score
what engine do you have?

jonnyquid

Reaction score
i paid 800 bucks at the ford house for this issue.
was going about 90 on the interstate in Dallas in the left lane and the thing just lugged back. so i babied it for the next 6 months, same thing up and down on hills it would lug back if i was in cruise control.
Ford ran the codes and fixed it same day i took it in, coil pack went out and they went ahead and replaced all the spark plugs too.

mines a '15, limited 4x4