15-17 EL Owner Measurement Request

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JerEazy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Curious, i noticed something kinda strange when measuring my EL fender well height and setting up my W/D hitch on the Expedition.

My rear fender well is LOWER than my front when sitting on level ground, unloaded.

Nothing CRAZY - but (going from memory) the front was 36 1/4" and the rear was like 35 1/12" or something near that.

I'm running the non-load leveling suspension on a 17 EL Limited. Stock tire sizes as well. So i was hoping someone else who has a similar/same model could measure from the ground to the bottom of their fender wells also and see if something is broken!

i'm going to stick another tape measurer on it today and see if it was maybe just a fluke and will post back.

Thanks

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Curious, i noticed something kinda strange when measuring my EL fender well height and setting up my W/D hitch on the Expedition.

My rear fender well is LOWER than my front when sitting on level ground, unloaded.

Nothing CRAZY - but (going from memory) the front was 36 1/4" and the rear was like 35 1/12" or something near that.

I'm running the non-load leveling suspension on a 17 EL Limited. Stock tire sizes as well. So i was hoping someone else who has a similar/same model could measure from the ground to the bottom of their fender wells also and see if something is broken!

i'm going to stick another tape measurer on it today and see if it was maybe just a fluke and will post back.

Thanks
The front and rear fender wells aren't the same height. I usually use the running boards or rocker panels when looking for a level area

OP
OP
J

JerEazy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not looking for a level area. When setting up the hitch to confirm correct weight distribution you measure fender height before hitching, after hitching but before distributing weight, and then after hitched and weight distributed.

It’s to make sure you’re not over/under distributed.

So the height is really an ancillary number and could absolutely change based on wheel/tire combo, suspension upgrades etc.

But I’ve never really experienced a negative or even equal rake on a tow vehicle. So wanted to check with others.

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
mine is not at home right now, but the normal height on mine as in the picture. the rear is higher than the front in the rake. BUT the front fender itself is higher than the rear fender body lines
when it gets home i will run a tape

if yours is looking like mine, i would run a tape measure off the top of tire to a reference point on the fenders front and back.
then set your wd hitch to lower the front height as recommended to be level.
IRRC on my dually with the the long long trailer it dropped my front 1.5 to 2"
and the rear it brought down to almost level with a about an 1" rake difference in level
this was 1200 lbs of tongue load across the setup.
hope it helps

20160517_180442 (640x360).jpg

20160517_180536.jpg

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you specific measurements? 07-14’ trucks ride slightly higher than the 15-17’ ones so you would need a gen 3.5er to measure.

Vankonk

Reaction score
My 16 EL Limited was the exact same. I thought it was strange at the time but just went with it. I just bought a TT last fall and only pulled it 2 times with the WDH. I still have some tweaking to do in the spring.

OP
OP
J

JerEazy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They are difficult to dial in on the TT set-up. So that’s a pre-warning. The IDRS gives a bit of extra body roll as well. So if you’re coming from past trailing experience on a truck or other SUV just know it’ll be different.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Thanks
You're assuming both wells should at the same height. They aren't. Measure both wells before and after hitching up to compare the before and after measurement of the same wheel, but not to each other.