17 expedition cluster update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is it possible to correct the miles on my new cluster? I need to increase them from 15k to 55k and a local shop can't figure it out. They were able to use Ford IDS to set up the cluster options correctly for my vehicle but I still need to get the mileage corrected. I had heard this might be possible with forscan and since I'm increasing the miles instead of rolling back that it would be OK? My remaining option is to yank the cluster and send it away to have a place online do it. With both way shipping, I'd be without the vehicle for probably a week, and $150 lighter in the wallet.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Is it possible to correct the miles on my new cluster? I need to increase them from 15k to 55k and a local shop can't figure it out. They were able to use Ford IDS to set up the cluster options correctly for my vehicle but I still need to get the mileage corrected. I had heard this might be possible with forscan and since I'm increasing the miles instead of rolling back that it would be OK? My remaining option is to yank the cluster and send it away to have a place online do it. With both way shipping, I'd be without the vehicle for probably a week, and $150 lighter in the wallet.

Did the cluster need replacing or did you upgrade?

Yes, FORSCAN can do that, but you need to figure out which hex. Look at the 14/15 150 sheets, and try those settings first. Like I have said before, the 15-17 Expys have a unique module combo, that is not documented as well. There is a good possibility that the 14/15 150 location is not the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
C

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The cluster failed. I tried to have it repaired but they were unsuccessful. I purchased a low miles replacement and had it programmed for my vehicles options (it came from a limited so it needed a bunch of stuff removed). It works great, just has incorrect mileage showing. I have 100k powertrain warranty through Ford and am coming up on an oil change so need to figure something out.

OP
OP
C

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The thought just occurred to me. Where can I look in forscan to see the actual miles on the vehicle. Does the pcm or some other module track that besides the instrument cluster?

Reason I ask is when I pulled the "original" cluster that failed, I noticed it was all marked up with red sharpie around the edges. The replacement unit I purchased also had these same markings, which look like how they mark parts when you get them from the junk yard.

This vehicle was purchased certified pre owned from the Ford dealership. If the cluster had been replaced by the "fleet vehicle" company that was the original owner, and there was a discrepancy, wouldn't Ford be on the hook since they certified it? If the miles in the vehicle don't match the cluster it was sold to me from Ford with, and they did not disclose this (it couldn't be sold certified pre owned if this were the case) they might have to buy it back or at least repair it right?

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So the dealer replaced it, or a 3rd party shop?

So the Miles are stored in more than one location. Can’t remember where though off the top of my head. One of the locations can’t be changed, even by FORSCAN I believe.

If I get a chance I will hook up to my Expy tomorrow and poke around.

OP
OP
C

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A third party replaced it. Well, thry first tried to repair the failed cluster, then told me to purchase a replacement and they would clone to it. Everything but the miles came over.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
A third party replaced it. Well, thry first tried to repair the failed cluster, then told me to purchase a replacement and they would clone to it. Everything but the miles came over.

Sounds good. Let me see if I can find it later tonight.

OP
OP
C

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Using forscan for Android, I pulled up the module information and to my surprise the IPC and vehicle computer both match. They show the incorrect mileage from the new cluster. Should I be looking at a different module? These are the only 2 that displayed mileage.

Screenshot_20191215-103258~2.png

Screenshot_20191215-103307~2.png