170 t stat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
anyone with a 15-17 upgrade their t stat yet? Just ordered a 170 for my 16 looking to see if anyone else has done it

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
anyone with a 15-17 upgrade their t stat yet? Just ordered a 170 for my 16 looking to see if anyone else has done it

I know it is only needed for repeatability on the Track. It decreases cool down time, since it opens sooner. Should decrease heat soak a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
16plati

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know it is only needed for repeatability on the Track. It decreases cool down time, since it opens sooner. Should decrease heat soak a little.

Yeah I got it bc these trucks normally run hot and with my 93 perf tune, I’ll be able to pull a bit more timing and squeeze some more power out of her. I wanna see lower coolant temps too bc anytime the truck is cooler it’s gonna make more power. Between that, mishimoto intercooler and pipes, and possibly meth she’s gonna be nice and cool

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah I got it bc these trucks normally run hot and with my 93 perf tune, I’ll be able to pull a bit more timing and squeeze some more power out of her. I wanna see lower coolant temps too bc anytime the truck is cooler it’s gonna make more power. Between that, mishimoto intercooler and pipes, and possibly meth she’s gonna be nice and cool

Be careful with Meth. It over cools the intake charge and the Motor does goofy things. It has to be tuned very specifically for it.

OP
OP
16plati

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Be careful with Meth. It over cools the intake charge and the Motor does goofy things. It has to be tuned very specifically for it.

5 star has at least 20 vehicles they have tuned for meth

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
170 stat ? Will this cause the engine to run in open loop ? What temp does it go into closed loop ? What happens to the cats in open loop

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
170 stat ? Will this cause the engine to run in open loop ? What temp does it go into closed loop ? What happens to the cats in open loop

Just opens at 170 vs Stock which I believe is 190 or 200. Turbos are still just as hot...it will have no effect on the Cats.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
5 star has at least 20 vehicles they have tuned for meth

That is great...and I have seen logs from theirs and other tuners, where E30 had better numbers than 93 with Meth, because of how these motors handle that cool of an air charge. They think the motor is in low load, and decreases power. Was just giving you a heads up. The EB motors react a little weirder than most to it. It can be tuned to have the desired affect...but it has to be adjusted for in the Tuning.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The trade-off is longer warmup times and increased wear all that time the engine is running below the temp it was designed to run at. If you're driving it like you're at the track all day, every day, I imagine it won't be an issue, but for typical driving I think it makes as much sense as the rice burner stickers.