O2 sensors again....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crazy Steve

Reaction score
Ok, I just bought this '08 XLT and it runs great... except it's throwing O2 sensor codes. Now in talking to the seller, he remarked that he very recently replaced the cats and all four O2 sensors. He said he 'probably shouldn't have bought 'cheap chinese' sensors' as he suspects that may be an issue. Now genuine Ford sensors aren't all that expensive at about $80, but is that the actual problem? He also noted he bought 'inexpensive' aftermarket cats and some research shows that those may not be up to ***** ('46 state compliant', NOT 50 state). Further research showed that these have much smaller catalysts in them and may be exceeding the 'difference limits' allowable between the front and rear O2 sensors. With the additional possibility that they may clog up at fairly low miles... He did say he saw a marked increase in fuel economy with the new cats (less restriction through them?), always a welcome thing. I'll note here there is no emission testing here, so I have a free hand in what I do.

So seriously digging into all the cat choices, it basically breaks down into two tiers; the aftermarket '46 state' versions, ranging in price from about $170 for both sides including the down pipes all the way up to $800 for a Magnaflow set. The second tier is 50 state legal, but these will take your breath away on price... $2500 and up! Ouch!! Or you can do a U-weld cat-only replacement at a mere $1K, not including labor.

Looking further at the sellers of these 'lesser' cat set-ups, a few have rather weaselly-worded 'explanations' that if codes show up, check everything else, it's probably NOT their cats... LOL. Most make no mention of any issues other than their illegality in some jurisdictions.

So question 1. Is there any meaningful differences between these various cat sets? Have some showed fewer or no issues than others? Given the price differences and some obvious construction differences among them, is there a 'better' choice to be had?

Question 2 is this; seeing as I have both new cats and sensors, it makes more sense to 'fool' the computer with sensor spacers or MIL emulators. The spacers are all over the map. Short ones, long ones, straight ones, angled ones, it apparently makes a difference which one you use. Too long, the sensor won't show up, too short there's no gain. Is there any sort of consensus on a recommended length/type? I'd prefer these over an electronic solution, no wearable parts.

Or is there a third solution I haven't seen? Questions and comment welcome... Thanks!

twodollars

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Prob be helpful to know specific codes being set. Cat efficiency errors, or errors for specific sensors? I've had issues on toyotas and fords using cheapo sensors, good success with denso stuff. Hit and miss with bosch.

JimR_TN

Reaction score
Agree that what codes you are getting would be helpful. As long as the codes are for the second O2 sensors it shouldn't cause drivability issues. And if you don't have emissions testing then the only concern is probably getting rid of the check engine light. In that case I'd probably go for the spacers.

OP
OP
C

Crazy Steve

Reaction score
Yeah, I need to dig my code reader out from wherever it is (it's been more than a few years since I've owned a car that needed it) and verify just what codes it's throwing...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire