1997 Expedition XLT not starting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bowesmobile

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is my first post so hey everyone! I bought this truck on Saturday knowing it would need a new alternator. The PO gave me a new battery. Since Saturday I replaced the alternator. I ran it for a bit after and shut it off while cleaning it. I went to start it after cleaning and the starter clicked but didn't turn over the engine. I thought I had drained the battery so I put it on the slow charger overnight until today. I tried starting the truck this afternoon and the same thing happened. The starter clicked and didn't turn over the engine. I tried jumping the solenoid on the fire wall and it clicked. But no turning over. I checked all the fuses inside and under the hood. I replaced the solenoid on the firewall. Tried to start it and nothing. I checked the voltage at the battery and it had 12.47v. Then all the connections to the solenoid and they had 12.47v. I crawled under the vehicle and checked the connection at the starter. The main feed had 12.46v Then I had my son try to start the truck and the voltage dropped at the main feed and the smaller connector had 12.46v. But still wouldn't turn over. Does anyone have any ideas. I plan to pull the starter out again and check all the bolting and the flywheel. But I dont think thats really the problem. Does anyone have any ideas? I would appreciate any help.

hovocop

Full Access Members
Reaction score
when you turn the key, is it making a wizzing or clicking sound, but not starting?

OP
OP
B

Bowesmobile

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its clicking like the gear is being kicked out but not turning the flywheel. Or the solenoid is clicking.

OP
OP
B

Bowesmobile

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I took the new starter back and put the old one back in. I'll be replacing the negative battery cable next.

OP
OP
B

Bowesmobile

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just so everyone on this site knows. I fixed the problem. It turned out to be the battery cables. Even though they showed 12.46V at the starter. Enough of the cable was broken down to not allow them to carry the load amperage wise. So for $30 and some ingenuity I replaced the cables from the Advance auto supply by my house. Works great!