No start 02 Expedition XLT 4.6L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cwvines71

Reaction score
My '02 Expedition i had given to my daughter with disabled almost 4 year old grandson didnt want to move. So ive worked at car dealerships (front and back counters) for almost every Domestic auto Mfr in the US as well as 8 years of back counter parts sales for KW & PB. But am no means a rocket scientist. But ive always listened to techs talk amongst themselves as well as pricing/ordering parts so i get the gest of things. So i pul the dipstick. Says to check fluid level while idling, hot and in park. Nothing. So i add a quart check it. Still nothing. I get her to pick up 2 more quarts. I add about half of a quart of the 2 she brought. Get in to fire it up so i can check the fluid levels. Nothing. No solenoid clicking etc. So im kind dumbfounded. Get the old trusty multimeter out. Im thinking a light stayed on or something and drained her. Nope.... She's got i think it was like 12.48 volts. Climb back in. Foot on brake, turn the ignition hoping. Nope nothing. So i grab the gear shift(column mtd) thinking shift interlock switch or PRNDL/range sensor while i turn the ignition. Nothing. About that time daughter stops buy and im telling her now the damn thing wont start. She says ohh sometimes you have to move these wires. She starts messing with the fusible link coming off hot side of battery that i believe goes to the solenoid (firewall mtd). The idiot she was dating at 1 time changed the battery and done something with positive cable wiring at battery. Because he has a wire nut on these 2 wires. The bigger one id say is maybe 8 ga. Size of a #2 pencil. Smaller one maybe a 10 or 12ga. But i check continuity across the fusible link(s) and cant seem to find any open circuit. Only electrical problem i ever knew about is the cigarette lighter fuse was blown and found this by accident. Check engine or MIL came on long time ago. Got my OBD II reader out. Wouldn't turn on. Got owners manual out.. went to fuse block diagram. Low and behold the OBD II connector is on the same circuit as the cigarette lighter . And 2 days ago when scanner didn't come on, i pulled bad fuse out and put new one in to retrieve DTC's the fuse popped instantly. So one of my questions is did the scanner being plugged into J1939 i believe it is and new fuse blowing instantly cause something im unaware of ? Or just coincidence? If not related would jumping the solenoid be advised? What to do next? Any ideas of what circuits to check , like GEM module or pinout connections on ecm or pcm. Or start by checking to see if firewall mounted solenoid is good and how? If it is, next step(s)? Advice, tios, guidance?
Again this is the only vehicle my now single daughter and almost 4 year old disabled grandson have to get her to work and him to his therapy and Dr's appointments. Its a 2WD XLT 4.6L. THANK YOU !!!!

Attachments

• IMG_20230213_134625369.jpg
    IMG_20230213_134625369.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 1