1999 Expedition 4.6 Rough Idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G

1999 Expedition 4.6 Rough Idle-Updated!

Hello! I have a 99 Exp 4.6 with 61,000 on it and until recently it has started to have a rough idle accompanied with a "whine" that changes pitch with accelaration.
At a stop, in gear or in neutral, warm or cold the engine will flip flop back and forth between 500 and 1000 rpms. The whine is constant and increases when I accelerate.

Please advise!

After listening further....this "whine" is more of a twirrrl....yes I said twirrrl...I don't know how to explain it more than that!

Also, its been unusally hard to start on occasion in this COLD Rhode Island weather!

Ok...so I go to check my oil and when I opened up the oil fill cap...there was a white thick ring of gunk around the inside....none in the oil on the dipstick!

It's been hard to start on these cold mornings...I'll crank it over...it will enter high idle for a second and then it will rumble and almost stall..then go back to high idle.

I 've also noticed a drop in gas mileage. I've read stories of possible head gasket....but the truck drives realtively fine besides these above issues.

Confused...and looking at a 2002 explorer at the dealer down the street!
HELP!