2 Newb Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
N

Nate03

Reaction score
I have the same exact clunk as you have. Ive mentioned it on here before. I was told it was the torque converter doing its thing. Its annoying as all get out but ive learned to ignore it

That helps at least it doesn't appear to be a problem. Any issues I assume would be covered by the power train warranty I would hope. I am going to be towing though so just wanted to be sure.

Dorzak

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just bought a 17 Expy XLT. They claimed to have put new brake pads on the front and it does have new tires. My questions are

No matter how I baby it 16.5 to barely 17 is best mpg I can get and I have easy drive to work. Is that normal? And I mean babying. Coasting to stop signs etc. I just wonder if it’s new Michelin defender tires which look huge. When I drove a different one I got 18 during 20 mile test drive and I was much harder on it.

Around town/surface streets I get about 12-14. On the highway doing 65-70 the liar of a gauge sits at 20. My overall average for 2,670 miles I have owned it is 15.4mpg. The first few weeks I had the Expedition I was out on a medical leave to care for my spouse and was taking her to the doctor and not driving on the freeways. (5.1 miles with 14 stop signs or stop lights) Average then was the 12-14. I reset the gauge the day I drove it off the lot. Before that it was at 17.1 average, but I suspect a lot of that was freeway miles, and unclear when it was last reset.

I did about 100 miles on a President's day weekend so I kept it around 65, and had a low 20's mpg average for that trip. I posted the number elsewhere.