20" Chrome wheel cladding

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tpndrcn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anyone on here attempt to remove the chrome cladding off of factory 20" Limited wheels. Mine are chewed up on the edge from the previous owner having wheel weights mounted on the outside instead of static balancing. I was thinking of removing the cladding and painting/polishing the wheels. I have watched a few videos of other wheels but would really like to see what these specific look like underneath the cladding and what someone used for center caps.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its been a few years back but somebody posted a pic of theirs after a wreck. Sizable piece busted off (or they pried a chunk off, can't remember) showing an unattractive wheel design underneath, just plain flat spokes with zero character. You can really tell it was designed to be clad. Its unlike Dodge, who I believe on their Rams uses the same wheel - one version painted for mid-level trucks, the same wheel chrome clad for top-level trucks.

FYI, the weights are mounted on the outside when new. First thing I changed when we bought ours was stick-on weights to the backside.

OP
OP
tpndrcn

tpndrcn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Flexpedition thanks for the post, I will hopefully find someone who has done this who has a picture. I would love platinum 6 spokes but since I just bought it I don't think the wife will go for that right now! Just looking at a cheaper alternative and either polish or paint what's underneath , as long as it's not terrible that is.

montecarlo31

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It can be removed but it would probably take some serious heat since they are glued on to the steel wheel. I would keep looking around for some 20" wheels. I've seen the 20" limited wheels for the newer expeditions sell for as low as 500 bucks (set of 4 with no tires/TPMS).

What it looks like behind the plastic chrome is glue (yellowish tan) and then the steel.

As for the center caps I have some king ranch ones if you want them.

OP
OP
tpndrcn

tpndrcn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Montecarlo31 i believe the wheels are aluminum underneath the cladding are they not? I haven't pulled the wheels off of it yet to know for sure. I know that they wouldn't have as fancy of design as the cladding but thought maybe they would look nice wet sanded and polished or painted black or silver. If the right deal comes along i would definitely consider replacement wheels.