2000 Eddie Bauer Road Trip - Maintenance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Muffinman

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've got 230K on my Expy, I am thinking of taking a road trip from CA to TX.

I have not had any issues with anything with the exception of the oil pressure light coming on at start up, but the warning light goes out after 30 seconds; thinking it's just a computer issue No problems other than that and it runs fine.

I have the original timing belt & serpentine belt.

I was thinking I need to have those two replaced along with the radiator flushed and coolant replaced, as well as the radiator hose checked.

Please let me know if I'm right in my thinking and if I m leaving anything out.

I appreciate your responses and thank you

ARiley23

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi All,

I've got 230K on my Expy, I am thinking of taking a road trip from CA to TX.

I have not had any issues with anything with the exception of the oil pressure light coming on at start up, but the warning light goes out after 30 seconds; thinking it's just a computer issue No problems other than that and it runs fine.

I have the original timing belt & serpentine belt.

I was thinking I need to have those two replaced along with the radiator flushed and coolant replaced, as well as the radiator hose checked.

Please let me know if I'm right in my thinking and if I m leaving anything out.

I appreciate your responses and thank you
When's the last time you had the plugs and coils changed. And change the air filter and do an oil change id recommend.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

Muffinman

Reaction score
I've had a couple/few coils that needed repaired/replaced, but I don't think I've ever replaced them all. Any idea what cost would be?

Oil is changed religiously at 3K, although I don't replace with high mileage oil.

Thanks

ARiley23

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've had a couple/few coils that needed repaired/replaced, but I don't think I've ever replaced them all. Any idea what cost would be?

Oil is changed religiously at 3K, although I don't replace with high mileage oil.

Thanks
Cost All depends on the shop you're taking it to.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Change the serpentine belt for sure. The timing CHAIN should be good if you've kept up on oil changes with quality oil.

Other than that, it's hard to say. I have 233k on mine and wouldn't hesitate to drive it across country- but I stay on top on maintenence. Yours, I can't say for sure.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As far as coil replacement, No. The original Ford coils only fail if they get wet. The aftermarket coils are usually an inferior quality. I have the same vehicle, and would do maintenance items, plugs, air/fuel filter, transmission service, brake inspection. Are you doing maintenance? The spark plugs are biggest issue. As long as their under 80k since last change, I'd leave alone. They need to be torqued very precisely. As far as the oil light, mine shuts off 2-3 seconds after start up, I'd look into that issue, be sure your running 5w20 or 5w30 only, and preferably a Ford oil filter. Other than that just enjoy the trip, check oil/ coolant levels at each fuel up. Bring along a quart or two of the oil your using, always best to stay with same. Last thing crank down spare tire, check pressure, be sure jack and lug wrench is present and operating proper!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

ARiley23

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I second that always a great idea to bring along extra fluids!
As far as coil replacement, No. The original Ford coils only fail if they get wet. The aftermarket coils are usually an inferior quality. I have the same vehicle, and would do maintenance items, plugs, air/fuel filter, transmission service, brake inspection. Are you doing maintenance? The spark plugs are biggest issue. As long as their under 80k since last change, I'd leave alone. They need to be torqued very precisely. As far as the oil light, mine shuts off 2-3 seconds after start up, I'd look into that issue, be sure your running 5w20 or 5w30 only, and preferably a Ford oil filter. Other than that just enjoy the trip, check oil/ coolant levels at each fuel up. Bring along a quart or two of the oil your using, always best to stay with same. Last thing crank down spare tire, check pressure, be sure jack and lug wrench is present and operating proper!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
++ on all the above mentioned.

how old and what shape are your tires in? Wiper blades? sometimes it's just the little things.

enjoy your trip.