2000 Expedition stumbling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CowboyTrukr

Reaction score
Hey, all. New here to the forum.

My girlfriend has a 2000 Expedtion that's running very rough. It stumbles and surges.

SES light is on. I'm not familiar with Fords myself, but I'd like to extract the SES codes to see what's going on. I did find a link to how to pull the codes with an analog voltmeter or light. Have neither right now.

What would be causing the stumbling?

On my GM, (sorry but that's what I drive), her symptoms point to an ignition module.

Can I get some info on what the typical PM items are to be checkin?

Thanks.

jrjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Auto Zone or other parts places will pull codes for you. You need the codes to know how to proceed in a logical manner.

Rogiecrockett

Reaction score
I stopped at AutoZone tonight and had them pull the codes on my 98 5.4L - they do this for free. Cyl 5 shows a mis-fire.

A couple of years ago my 98 ran really rough and I guess you could call it stumbling, for a lack of a better description. At that time it was a bad ignition coil that needed replaced. My guess is that it is the same thing this time.

Biggest issue is to determine what it is - most likely something related to the ignition coil. The other thing is to determine what cyl is the culprit.

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
Cowboy, odds are you are having a misfire on 1 or 2 cylinders. If I had to take a guess, you are getting misfires on cylinders 3, 4 and/or 7. A new coil on plug module will get the truck back to 100% for each cylinder that is misfiring.

OP
OP
C

CowboyTrukr

Reaction score
Thanks, Thermo. I'll let her know. I did do the vacuum elbow check and the elbows are in good shape. Almost like they'd been changed earlier. Thank you.