2001 Expy Knock on acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
VictorDuwon

VictorDuwon

Reaction score
So far, I've disconnected the heater hoses, but I can't seem to get the wiring harness bracket disconnected from the valve cover bolts. Its plastic, and I can't seem to get it up without breaking it. Is there a special tool or technique for this?

Edit:

Nevermind, I figured it out. So far so good. Is there a logical reason some of the bolts have the shaft and others are just a 8mm bolt?

Last edited:

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well indeed, there's your problem!

That was your original thump most likely.

Was the valve keeper still in place?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Now I am nervous.

I have an 01, 4.6 L with half the miles. But a while back, I took it to AutoZone to have the alternator tested and the "tech" over revved my engine to the point I am sure the valves were floating. No problems so far, good oil test results, but the valve train is is the weak point in these engines,.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OP
OP
VictorDuwon

VictorDuwon

Reaction score
I didn't see anything like that. I'll feel around there with a magnet this morning and see if I can find anything.

I'm trying to find a replacement spring also. Will I be able to replace this without removing the shaft? I can see how the rocker arm and spring fit beneath the cam, but now that you mention missing pieces, I'm not so sure.

OP
OP
VictorDuwon

VictorDuwon

Reaction score
I didn't find anything in the wells, but where the timing chain is I did see what looked like a partially ground up piece of curved metal. One of the keepers I think. I went for it with my magnet, but lost it.

The valve seal does seem to be intact however.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So the valve did not drop? Try to find all the metal bits. An oil and filter change will be on the list.

I can't advise the best way to proceed. These are wear parts, at that mileage, you may need to replace all the springs and followers. Otherwise you could change what's broken and keep your fingers crossed.

There is an identical recent thread on broken cam followers on this board. In that case the follower roller siezed up, scored the cam.