2003 Exp radio and gauge cluster issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hey guys. On top of the alternator and charging issues and having, for the past year I've been having issues with my gauge cluster and radio shutting off and on intermittently and me having to pound on my steering wheel or smack the top of my dashboard above the gauge cluster to turn it back on.

The gauge cluster stereo locks and windows don't work when this happens. When this first happened I tried hitting the steering wheel or Dash and it usually turns everything back on immediately, but sometimes it doesn't. I know it has something to do with that because when I hit the steering wheel or Dash the response is immediate and things turned back on. The airbag light well sometimes staying on flashing and then eventually turn off.

Do any of you guys have a similar experience like this and what would you recommend I look at to fix this issue?

Last edited:

JB1258

Reaction score
If you can get ahold of a scanner I would do that first to see if there are any codes after that it sounds like a wire that is grounding out and when you hit it moves it off the bad spot

OP
OP
Reaction score
If you can get ahold of a scanner I would do that first to see if there are any codes after that it sounds like a wire that is grounding out and when you hit it moves it off the bad spot

I have a scanner and there are no codes related to that. I also hear a relay clicking from my interior fuse box on the passenger side kick panel. I'm not sure if the clicking relay is related to this issue but it's happening more and more now. I have more times were my gauge cluster and radio and power locks and everything else go dark. And whenever I smacked the top of the dash above the steering wheel and radio 80% of the time everything powers back up. I think I should take off my dashboard and gauge cluster and see if there's any loose connections.

Any more thoughts or experience on this?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Scanners will not show electrical issues with the radio or cluster on that generation since they are not on the can bus.

Taking the dash off to look for loose connections may end up being a waste of time. Better to have a wiring diagram and see what is the common connection between the circuits.

Also the 2003/2004 have know issues with the smart junction box located behind the passenger kick panel. Usual problems are with the fuel pump circuit.

OP
OP
Reaction score
Scanners will not show electrical issues with the radio or cluster on that generation since they are not on the can bus.

Taking the dash off to look for loose connections may end up being a waste of time. Better to have a wiring diagram and see what is the common connection between the circuits.

Also the 2003/2004 have know issues with the smart junction box located behind the passenger kick panel. Usual problems are with the fuel pump circuit.

Thanks I'll look into that issue