2003 Exp Steering knock over bumps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2004XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The only way I've known to check inner tie rods for wear is to push and pull on them and look for any play, mine seem to be tight. If I have someone sit in the drivers seat with the car off and quickly turn the wheel back and forth I can tell the noise is coming from right behind that black cover with the 4 notches in it. It's a metallic banging type noise. Are the bushings you're talking about replaceable?

bubbadabulldawg

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You haven't checked the most obvious part, the noise is coming from the sway bar end links. I've replaced them with lifetime replacement units from Napa only to have them fail again a few months later so I went back with OEM Ford units.

OP
OP
S

sdoherty

Reaction score
got new rack..

Got my new rack from partsgeek and installled last night.. Have to finish job and test drive - still left to do is to put on tie rod ends..

This job was not too bad just be sure to make some room to operate -
-move radiator hose
-remove all intake plastic like air cleaner housing
-remove PS reservoir
-remove rubber piece under oil filter
-and of course 1 can of PB should be emptied on all nuts/bolts

Hopefully the test drive goes well..

Attachments

• IMG_0812.jpg
    IMG_0812.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 39

2004XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just did the replacement today, I used an AC Delco rack from rockauto. It's even noisier than the old rack. I'm interested to see how yours turns out, I've read on f150 forums that with these reman racks you need to go through 3 or 4 of them before you actually get one that's tight. I can't figure out a way to test the rack before it's installed, though.