2019 Expo XLT sways all over the place after hitting bumps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alohashel23

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Expedition XLT that I purchased last year used with only 9k miles. Ever since I got it when I hit a certain kind of bump in the highway/freeways, especially at a high rate of speed, the car sways almost violently. I don’t have any kind of warranty on it, and everyone wants a $250 diagnostic fee that won’t get applied to fix. I’ve taken it to a Discount Tire and to one other shop and they said they don’t see any issues. My first thought is it’s the shocks, but wouldn’t that have been an apparent issue those guys would have noticed? It’s so bad. It seems to mostly be the right side of the car. Has anyone else had any issues with this?

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Some owners complained about the 4th gens having premature strut failure. Many shops will apply the diagnostic fee to the repair costs if you use them for the fix. If you're not repairng it yourself go ahead and pay for the diagnostic if the shop will credit the fee to the repair.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As Sam Elliot once said, sometime the bar eats you. Scary. Find a competent shop and pay for the diagnosis.

mr_dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've had two past vehicles that each had similar issues. One had a bad rear spring on one side and the other had a bad rear strut on one side.

techdude99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2019 Expedition XLT that I purchased last year used with only 9k miles. Ever since I got it when I hit a certain kind of bump in the highway/freeways, especially at a high rate of speed, the car sways almost violently. I don’t have any kind of warranty on it, and everyone wants a $250 diagnostic fee that won’t get applied to fix. I’ve taken it to a Discount Tire and to one other shop and they said they don’t see any issues. My first thought is it’s the shocks, but wouldn’t that have been an apparent issue those guys would have noticed? It’s so bad. It seems to mostly be the right side of the car. Has anyone else had any issues with this?
I had a '19 Platinum with CCD. I don't think yours has it so my first thought is one of the shocks are defective. By default, the suspension is sloppy under certain conditions. Adding sway bars with urethane bushings or just urethane bushings will help a lot.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Perhaps your car was in an undisclosed wreck that damaged the suspension/frame. My 2020 MAX Limited with 76K miles is stable as a rock. Couldn't be happier with stability and ride.
I bought a year old, used/w/warranty 1993 E350 15 passenger van that would dog leg and I took it in for warranty and the dealer sent it off to a truck frame shop. It was a simple repair, the rear axle alignment was off a tiny amount. I think someone had curbed a rear wheel.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Look at your struts. They typically are covered in oil after failure. The struts often fail in 10-20K miles, they don't last long. I'd upgrade the struts and install Hellwig Sway Bars. Theres no comparison between the stock sway bars and the Hellwigs. HUGE reduction in the sway. I hated my expedition so much when it was brand new, I almost traded it in. I swapped the sway bars and its great now. It just bobbed all over the damn road so bad it was nasty. (again, brand new)

battalion3

Reaction score
I fought with Ford under warranty on rear struts and again on fronts. My 19 failed at 10K in the rear and at 60K on the front after noticing a vibration at highway speed.
Unfortunately they put more Ford parts on the truck. Once these go it’s Bilsteins for me.
Once the rear were replaced the sway on mine disappeared.
My 2010 Expy with the air suspension was a far superior truck to my 19 in ride quality.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire