2003 Expedition gauge cluster problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kistler

Reaction score
My 2003 Expedition has been at the Ford dealer for a week getting a new "gauge cluster" ..... the gas guage was slow and unreliable since Ford replaced the battery at 13,000 miles; the vehicle now has 16,000 on it.

Have any of you had this problem? Is this a Ford "weakness"?

Apparently the gas gauge is not replaceable as a single item....they have to do the whole instrument cluster????

Just wondering if I can ever trust it again? We tow a trailer and go some lonesome spots....need to know how much gas we have.

phjohnso

Honcho
Reaction score
That sounds like a valid concern - I hope you get the answer.

DAMN_FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We had trouble with our gas gauge doing the same thing. It was intermittant. We'd fill up the truck and it would read half a tank.

Then, the next time you start the truck, it would be full.

I think this is another Ford weakness.

OP
OP
K

Kistler

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies, guys! Yeah, sorta think so too; the driver of the shuttle from the dealer said he had had a Ford Focus and it was the same.

I always shut the engine off the gas station when filling up; someone told me if you don't, the gauge won't change. Mine would not change anyway. :)

As soon as this problem is over, I will tell you about Jackson Hole, WY, and Cheney's house and his radar.

Kistler