Oil Pressure Sensor wiring help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shaun M Johnson

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Yes, I'm going to be ****-retentive here. I have a 97 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L 4WD. My factory sensor is a one wire sensor. I purchased a 7 color oil pressure gauge from GlowShift that has a three wire oil pressure sensor included. The sensor has three wires connecting to the gauge (red, black and white). There is another set of four wires coming from the gauge (red, yellow, orange and black). Connected everything per the instructions and it works great. What I want is to somehow tie-in to the existing one wire circuit. Yes, I'm aware I can leave the old sensor installed and connected but this is not desirable or logical. I can get into the why and why not but rather not. Let's just say the original sensor cannot be used. All I need is someone experienced with wiring to provide some direction. Can I use a diode or some other setup to tie-in the new sensor/gauge to the original single wire to retain the dummy light? Also, does anyone know if the factory one wire system is indeed nothing more than a dummy light or if it in fact is wired to the ECU or PCM to transfer necessary data thus being required for proper system operation? Either way, I still want to tap into the single wire. Thank you for your time.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire