2003 XLT Inner Rocker Panel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jstar

Reaction score
Hello all, new user here.

I have a 2003 XLT 2WD with rusted inner and outer rocker panels. Replacing/repairing the outer rocker has been well documented and I have plenty of information to tackle that task. My issue is the inner rocker panel. The rust is quite severe towards the rear of the vehicle to the point that the inner rocker is rusting away. The running board flexes when I stand on the rear because of the degradation.

So, in saying that, what is the best method of repair? I see the Ford part number is 2L1Z-7810110-AA but has been discontinued. Will a 2007 inner rocker fit? Or, should I just cut out the rusty sections and weld in new plates? I'd like to continue the use of the running boards if possible.

Also, the rearmost body crossmember is rusting away. The body mounts at the rear are in rather poor condition. All other body mounts are intact and rust free. Frame is solid except minor surface rust patches. I removed the rear bumper cover to wire brush and respray the trailer hitch so I am wanting to tackle as much of these issues sooner rather than later. I have very little money into this vehicle and only at 101,000 miles so I'd like to prolong its life.

Thanks in advance.

riphip

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am not sure if that would fit or not. In my area, that doesn't seem to be a problem. You may try fordgiantparts.com or ask an auto repair body shop. I haven't seen many request like yours. May try this question in Exterior Forum or another forum for body repairs on the Expedition. Has to be out there somewhere.
I also have little invested in my Expy and do 95% of my repairs on all my vehicles.

Good luck

OP
OP
J

jstar

Reaction score
Thanks! Given I bought this thing for next to nothing and the drivetrain is solid I want to keep her going. Luckily, I did find someone still selling inner rockers for our 2nd gens. Strange thing, I crawled under the Expy to do some investigation and it looks like an adhesive was used to install the inner rocker, not welds. I could be mistaken and there may be spot welds but I definitely see adhesive along the entire rocker mounting to the floor pan. I do 95% of my own work was well and have an experienced welder/metal worker on speed dial. I'd like to avoid a body shop because of the costs. I don't have a lot invested but still, it is a 17 year old truck and thousands in body repair isn't necessarily worth it. Gotta love living in the rustbelt...