2005 Eddie Bauer - front A/C stops blowing air - Looking for some advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

erickperez

Reaction score
Hi there!

My A/C used to work fine in the city. Then I made a trip (200miles) and came back. The front A/C has never been the same. It stops blowing air after being turned on for about 30 minutes and my wife complains of extremely cold drops of water that sometimes fall into her feet (passenger side). I believe something gets "frozen".

Note: I live in the tropics, so we never use the heat function. Cold air works fine (set to 23 celsius) as long as you don't ride for more than 30 minutes. Happens driving in the city as well as driving long distances.

Guidance is welcomed.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The a/c evaporator condensate drain may be clogged, causing the evaporator to freeze up due to the lack of water drainage - and causing water to overflow the case and drip onto the RF floor.

The clue is that the air stops blowing after about 30 minutes. This is a classic sign of an evaporator that is freezing and icing, which prevents air flow across it.

OP
OP
erickperez

erickperez

Reaction score
The a/c evaporator condensate drain may be clogged, causing the evaporator to freeze up due to the lack of water drainage - and causing water to overflow the case and drip onto the RF floor.

The clue is that the air stops blowing after about 30 minutes. This is a classic sign of an evaporator that is freezing and icing, which prevents air flow across it.

Do I need to access it from the passenger side behind the glove box? or is it on the engine side?

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you have a drill you can drill a hole in the plenum box just below the glovebox and spray some cleaner through that hole and flush it out with a utility sprayer of water. You should then see water flowing onto the ground from the drain hole, which is through the firewall right behind the exhaust manifold area on the passenger side. Don't drill too deep or you'll damage the evaporator. Just enough to punch through the box, no deeper. When you're done cleaning it out just put a piece of black duct tape over the hole to seal it up.

iGzR5i.jpg

udNlBv.jpg

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do I need to access it from the passenger side behind the glove box? or is it on the engine side?

From the engine compartment, passenger side.

I have used the non-clasp end of a thick plastic zip-tie to probe the drain outlet and clear it. Do not use metal probes such as a coat hanger, screwdriver, etc.

bigdogchrisl

Reaction score
If you have a drill you can drill a hole in the plenum box just below the glovebox and spray some cleaner through that hole and flush it out with a utility sprayer of water. You should then see water flowing onto the ground from the drain hole, which is through the firewall right behind the exhaust manifold area on the passenger side. Don't drill too deep or you'll damage the evaporator. Just enough to punch through the box, no deeper. When you're done cleaning it out just put a piece of black duct tape over the hole to seal it up.

iGzR5i.jpg

udNlBv.jpg
Thats the way to go in my book, 100%

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

BlackCoffee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you run the A/C in the garage for any length of time, you should see a puddle of water on the floor where the drain is located. Just under the firewall, in front of the PAX. If you get under the car, you can locate the drain. It does sound plugged. The good news is that all the expensive stuff on the Air Conditioner is working, the water is just not draining out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wiscoford