2005 Expy Things To Look For When Buying

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tedallen

Reaction score
I have a 1997 (gen 1) Expy that has over 343k miles on it and am looking to replace it. I looked at a 2005 Limited today that a guy with a dealer's license bought at an auction a couple of weeks ago. He says he replaced all of the plugs and coil packs and based on his description of the job and the fact I have done so many times, I believe he has done it.

The vehicle has 165k miles on it, is 4wd, heated/cooled front seats, does not have DVD/entertainment system, no 3rd row power. There is an on/off switch mounted behind a small panel in driver's side panel behind 3rd row seats which I suspect is for air suspension and I have read of issues with that and folks spending $1000 or more to replace components to eliminate it.

I looked it over thoroughly and found that it has the clicking and popping issue with rear AC/heat doors for diverting air from floor to overhead vents and blending for temperature. I also noticed that it has the 3 valve 5.4L which I think I have read is more problematic than the 2 valve versions.

I also found that the driver side mirror isn't collapsing all the way in or moving all the way out when pushing the toggle switch down. It is easily spun around for a fairly wide range by hand which does not occur with the passenger mirror. I'm wondering if a piece has broken in the swivel part of the mount and, if so, if this is something easily replaced? There are a couple of small rips in the leather seating (one in vented driver seated surface and one in leading edge of 3rd row seat), but other than that the interior is in very good condition.

I noticed some paint peeling on the rubber alignment bumpers that the leading edge of the hood rests on. I asked if he knew if the vehicle had been in any accidents. He said he didn't see any on the Carfax but didn't have it for me to see. i can get the VIN and order one myself. I don't think it would have come from the factory with paint on those. I worked in a Ford assembly plant for a number of years and don't recall this being in place at the time the body is painted.

I am scheduled to look at a 2003 with similar mileage that isn't 4wd but does have DVD/entertainment system in a couple of days. Both vehicles are the same price ($5000). I'm just trying to determine if I might be better off with the older vehicle with the 2v 5.4. I don't really need 4wd, but the HP increase in 2005 would be nice, although the boost in 2003 would still be more than my 1997.

My 1997 was using a quart of oil or more prior to reaching 100k miles and I know Ford claimed this was normal. However, over time this got worse. Now, at 343k, it goes through 5+ quarts in 3000 miles (using high mileage synblend oil). Is oil consumption any better on either the 2003 2v 5.4 or 2005 3v 5.4?

Are there are any other typical issues I should consider?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ted

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would for sure look at the radiator support for rust and the rocker panels... Also listen for louder than average engine ticking when test driving and another I is to make sure it runs and goes nice and smooth in reverse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jb14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have an 05 with 242k runs great but does have the Phaser noise that I will be addressing soon. The 2005 models had a significant amount of improvements over the 03 & 04 models (you can do a simple model search and see) The rear Blend door issue is a simple fix for floor to ceiling operation $40 part remove rear tray and cup holder 15 minutes done. My rubber under the hood has paint on them as well. I did purchase used in 09 from a Mercedes dealership and carfax was clean, so maybe just the way they painted. I am surprised that the 05 limited did not come with power rear folding and rear DVD. Paint can be an issue, I would check to see if the struts have been changed, past a 100k the struts are shot.

Skauber

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Didn't the Limited come standard with power folding 3rd row?

Plug the VIN into Ford ETIS to check what it came with:

https://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do

Weak spots include plugs (not an issue if already replaced), cam phasers, rusty radiator supports. Air ride usually begins to have issues after about 10 years, TPMS sensors have an estimated battery life of about 10 years.

OP
OP
T

tedallen

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I did not get the VIN from it, but it said "Limited" on the rear lift gate. It apparently sold the next day. I had checked and found the mode actuator for the rear HVAC at Advance for a little over $40 and the rear blend actuator for a few dollars more on RockAuto. Ford wanted over $700 for the entire driver's side mirror assembly but they said they would sell it for a little over $500 and then said if I came in and ordered all 3 pieces they would try to help me some more on the part prices.

I'm still looking for a vehicle. I've started looking at Navigators as well. I think they had the 6-speed transmission starting in 2003 as opposed to the 4-speed. I actually like the looks of the Expedition better though, both interior and exterior styling during the 2003-2006 model years at least, but for a good enough deal I can forego some styling.

I saw a 2003 with only 105k miles last week with nice interior, but the rockers and rear driver's quarter panel were rusted through as well as rust on the lift gate.

I have an 05 with 242k runs great but does have the Phaser noise that I will be addressing soon. The 2005 models had a significant amount of improvements over the 03 & 04 models (you can do a simple model search and see) The rear Blend door issue is a simple fix for floor to ceiling operation $40 part remove rear tray and cup holder 15 minutes done. My rubber under the hood has paint on them as well. I did purchase used in 09 from a Mercedes dealership and carfax was clean, so maybe just the way they painted. I am surprised that the 05 limited did not come with power rear folding and rear DVD. Paint can be an issue, I would check to see if the struts have been changed, past a 100k the struts are shot.

Didn't the Limited come standard with power folding 3rd row?

Plug the VIN into Ford ETIS to check what it came with:

https://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do

Weak spots include plugs (not an issue if already replaced), cam phasers, rusty radiator supports. Air ride usually begins to have issues after about 10 years, TPMS sensors have an estimated battery life of about 10 years.

Jb14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Lincoln Navigator did have a 6 speed transmission option. I had to replace a Passenger side Mirror (Turn signal with puddle light) I found on ebay for $55.00 (was OEM) you can find normally from 75 to 150 (I got a great deal) One other note Air Suspension is a weak point.

OP
OP
T

tedallen

Reaction score
2004 Navigator

After months of searching, as long as the seller comes through with the title in the next couple of days, it looks like I have settled on a 2004 Navigator with around 150k miles. The interior and exterior are in excellent condition. The automatic adjustable suspension has been replaced with standard shocks/springs. Other than that, the only issues I found are that the power mirrors sometimes fail to move all the way out (seems one or the other will fail but not both at the same time) once they have been folded in, the passenger side electronic running board is somewhat noisy but working, and the driver side seat is a little noisy when moving forward/backward as well.

I connected my OBD II sensor to the connector and it never did power up. I don't think it is an issue with my scanner. The CEL/MIL is not on, but I believe I saw it come on during KOEO position so I don't think the bulb is burnt out. Has anyone had any issues with not being able to get power or readings via the OBD II connector?

Also, with the automatic adjustable suspension having been removed, there is a warning that keeps showing up in the message center of the instrument panel saying it needs to be checked. Does anyone know of a way to defeat this message when the suspension has been changed? I can't recall if the switch was in the on or off position in the driver-side rear panel by the lift gate. If it is set to the off position should that prevent the system from even being checked and prevent the message?

There is also a message about low tire pressure which may be a bad sensor.

This vehicle has the Intech 5.4L V8 instead of the Triton. From what I understand this is a pretty reliable engine with more horsepower than that Triton had at that time. Are there any specific maintenance items I should be looking at regarding it? I couldn't see where the coil packs were at on it (I'm assuming it uses them). I think I found the fuel injectors. I sure do like the layout of engine compartment in later model year Expy's where you can actually gain relatively easy access to the rearmost coil packs and plugs on the passenger side.

It has the E4OD(4R100) transmission. Are there any special considerations regarding it? Will it accept Mercon V fluid without any issues?

Thanks,

Ted

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
imjuststeven