2006 King ranch paint quality

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mkc1962

Reaction score
I know what I bought was a 7 year old used truck, BUT what I've found on the rear hatch has nothing to do with previous owner neglect.

I am wondering if anyone else has seen similar. Maybe tomorrow I can post a few pics.

The rear hatch, around the top handle (above the license plate) I am seeing what is blistered paint in several areas, also around the plate mounting bolts. In no way has the paint surface been compromised, but rather a blister beneath.

Today I took the time to start on two of those spots. All I can say for starters is the rear hatch must be some sort of alloy or possibly aluminum that was not prepped proper when painted at the factory. The rust beneath is like a white oxidized dust, very similar to what one might see on improperly prepped aluminum. I ran out of time before going to work, but wanted to check it with a magnet.

These spots around the plate I can problaby correct and blend and may nto have to respray the entire hatch. But I have one right above the king ranch logo that will probalby force a entire repaint.

This reminds me of some of the crappy paint jobs GM had back in the 70's on galvenized panels. Of course Ford has had their share of similar stuff.

Just wondering if anyone else out there has seen such and if anyone has tried to get Ford to back it?

Thanks for any input.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Very common. Cheap paint for sure. My dad's 04 has it, and every 2nd gen I have seen has it. Kind of like how every 02 and up explorer (older boxy style) has a crack through that same piece on their hatches.

RedDragon777

Reaction score
Dont feel bad all the 2nd gen stuff had issues. The F150, Expedition, Explorer, Focus, and even the S197 Mustang. My mustang was in the shop 3 times for blistering paint and what looked like corrosion. After the second time it was "Fixed" it came back and Ford said it could not be fixed anymore because it was supposedly fixed already. So far i have learned to live with it and someday i will be doing a complete respray on my car.

It all happens because ford tried to cut corners with paint and did not prep the aluminum correctly before paint.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mkc1962

Reaction score
Yeah that is what I figured, just wanted to make sure I wasnt some isolated incident. I may take it to ford just to see if they might do anything. My last SUV a Mountaineer started to flake on the roof, and even though I was the 2nd owner and 10 years old they did honor it. It surely cant hurt to ask.

Dragon I take it you are or were the original owner of that mustang right? Or were you lucky like me and my last suv?

Yeah dont speak much for ford quality...Ive done lots of aluminum work, and proper prep is nothing more than a quick wipe/dip with acedic acid (vinegar) before the primer.

Nathanialson 08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the reason the reason there is corrosion is because when ford dipped the vehicle in a chemical that is suppose to help make the paint dry faster and that chemical being on aluminum counter reacts with the steel bolts that holds the vehicle together and causes a corrosion problem my ex 08 expy had that problem all over the hood and was starting on the hatch.